Garden waste collection scheme
If you do not want to compost and are unable to take your garden waste to the local Community Recycling Centre (rubbish tip) you can sign up to our garden waste collection scheme. This is a kerbside collection of garden waste from £20 per year.
By signing up to the service you will receive:
- A 240 litre brown bin, delivered 2 - 4 weeks following sign-up to the scheme.
- 25 fortnightly collections
What do we collect?
- Grass cuttings
- Garden prunings
- Hedge trimmings
- Small twigs and other woody waste
- Dead plants and weeds
- Branches no larger than 7.5cm (3 inches) diameter
What we don't collect
- Flowerpots and seed trays
- Soil and turf
- Animal/pet bedding
- Kitchen or food waste
- Large branches (more than 7.5cm (3 inches) diameter
- Household waste or metal objects
The bin should be presented for collection from 6.30am on the day of collection.
How much do I pay?
You can join at any time during the year but subscriptions run until March 30 2014. They are not reduced if you join later than the start of the subscription year.
- 1 bin - £20
- 2 bins - £40
- 3 bins - £60
You can have as many bins as you require, each additional bin will be a further £20.
Please note: the price will increase to £30 for the subscription year from April 2014.
Signing up to the scheme - how do I pay?
You sign up to the scheme once you have paid for your bin. You can pay in a number of ways including:
- Online To pay online you will need a garden waste reference number, to get your unique number please call our customer services on 01483 444499
- Automated Telephone Payment system on 01483 444455
- Telephone, speaking to our Customer Service Team on 01483 444499
Please note, there is a small surcharge for using a credit card, there is no charge for using a debit card.
We will not be sending receipts for payments or vouchers. The delivery of your bin will be your proof of subscription. If you choose not to renew for the following year we will collect the bin from your property.
We will deliver your bin to your property as soon as we can after you sign up to the garden waste collection service.
We will not be issuing proof of subscription with the bin. The bin is proof of subscription to the service.
If your bin lid is not closing this will settle down within a couple of weeks, there is no need to call for a replacement bin.
We no longer issue garden waste vouchers for garden waste wheelie bins, the bin is your proof of purchase for the subscription of the garden waste service
What to do with your old sacks
You can keep your old sacks or we can collect them from you. If you would like us to collect your garden waste sacks please leave them out on your first collection after your garden waste bin has been delivered. Please note: we will not be collecting from the old sacks once your garden waste bin has been delivered.
Terms and conditions
- The bin will be delivered in March 2013. This will be your proof of subscription.
- This application is valid from 1 April 2013 to 30 March 2014 regardless of the time that you join the scheme.
- The lid of the bin should be closed for collection. We will not collect side waste.
- Please do not stamp or compact materials in the bin (compacted materials do not fall from the bin automated emptying process).
- Please present your bin in a safe flat location on solid ground.
- Your bin should not be overloaded so that it is unsafe to move. The total weight of the bin should not exceed 50kg in any circumstances. If our crews come to a view that a bin is too heavy to move, they will leave it behind. If this happens, we will ask you to take some material out before we collect the bin.
- Please also do think about the weight of the bin if the crews are required to transport bins over soft or uneven ground (e.g. deep gravel) or on slopes. These surfaces can make it very difficult to move the bin and we may have to ask you to move the bin to a safe flat location before we can empty the bin.
- Should you have difficulties in complying with the above please contact us so that problems can be resolved before collections start.
- Please follow the guidance provided on the bin lid and on our website regarding acceptable materials that can be placed in your bin. If we find any material not on the "yes please" list, the crew will leave the bin behind and we will not empty the bin until you remove this material from the bin.
- The garden waste service does not make collections in the two weeks over Christmas and New Year.
- If, after your year's collections, you let your subscription expire we will collect the bin back from you.
- We do not collect soil as this service is for garden waste for composting only. Putting soil in the bin is likely to put the weight over the lifting limit of 50kg.