Where you live

Have your say on the future of Guildford in our Draft Local Plan consultation until 22 September www.guildford.gov.uk/draftlocalplan.

Electoral registration

Don't miss out on your right to vote

The registration system changed on 10 June 2014 to Individual Electoral Registration.

How is the new system different?

  • You can now register to vote online
  • Everyone is responsible for registering themselves. Under the old system the head of every household could register everyone who lived at their address.
  • You need to provide a few more details to register - including your national insurance number and date of birth. This makes the electoral register more secure.

How do I register under the new system?

  • Register to vote online
  • Fill in your name, address, date of birth and a few other details. You'll also need your national insurance number, which can be found on your national insurance card, or in official paperwork such as payslips, or letters about benefits or tax credits.
  • Look out for a confirmation to say you're registered.

To find out more about Individual Electoral Registration (IER)

What if I was already registered in the system before 10 June 2014?

  • Look out for a letter from us between 21 July and 8 August 2014.
  • Most people who are already registered to vote will be registered automatically under the new system. They do not need to do anything. However, some people will need to take action to join the new register. We will write to people to tell them whether they are confirmed on the new register or need to do something further.
  • Please respond to the letter if you are asked to. It will tell you whether you are on the new register or whether you need to take action. It will tell you what to do.
  • If you don't get a letter by 8 August please contact us using the details below


To register you must be a British, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizen, or a citizen of a member state of the European Union. The online registration will check your status.

16 or 17 years old?

As soon as you are 18 you can vote. If you are 16 or 17 now, make sure you register, otherwise you can't vote when you reach 18.


If you are a student, you can register at both your term time address and at the address you live at outside of term time. If you decide to register at both addresses, you are only entitled to vote once in any election such as a Council, European or General Election.

If both addresses are in Guildford Borough you are only entitled to register at one address.


We can help if you are applying for a mortgage or credit and are having problems proving that you are included in the register of electors. Please contact us and we will provide a letter confirming your details - free of charge.

Contact us

Electoral Services
Guildford Borough Council
Millmead House
United Kingdom

Telephone: 44 01483 444115
Email: electoralservices@guildford.gov.uk

Last updated: 10 June 2014 15:39 PM