English Tourism Week 2017
Events taking place in Guildford and Surrey celebrating English Tourism Week
26 March to 2 April 2017 is English Tourism Week
The English tourism sector touches everyone - visitors, residents, businesses and employees. It's one of the few sectors active in every part of the country. It's the third largest employer, every day supporting 2.6 million jobs and is a major employer of school leavers and young people and an incubator for entrepreneurs.
The visitor economy is worth £106bn a year to England supporting thousands of businesses and impacting on the performance of supplier industries including farming, transport, retailing, sport, museums and galleries, the theatre and other performing arts. Tourism cannot be offshored - it only happens here!
Guildford sees over 4,000,000 day visits each year. In 2015, despite a fall in tourism value at regional level compared to 2014, Guildford held its own and saw growth of 1.4% in tourism value. Overall an estimated 347,000 staying trips were spent in Guildford in 2015 - 29% by overseas visitors and 71% by domestic visitors. Staying trips resulted in 1,354,000 visitor nights - an increase of 2.3% over 2014. Staying visitors spent £93.4 million on their trip - up 2.5% on 2014. In all tourism is worth £335.2 million of income to local businesses through direct and indirect expenditure.
In Guildford Tourism supports 4528 full time equivalent jobs - and as many of these jobs are part time or seasonal, the total number of jobs in tourism is 6185 - and this represents 8.6% of all employment in Guildford.
English Tourism Week, organised by Visit England aims to promote tourism in England and herald the start of the summer tourism season. You can find out more about English Tourism Week across the whole country at the English Tourism Week website
This spring, why not explore the best of English tourism that Guildford and Surrey has to offer - and to help you decide what to see, and where to visit, here is a list of events going on during English Tourism Week. Do look out on social media for #ETW17 for more ideas.
- Local Food and Drink Festival at The Keep Pub- meet local brewers, distillers, wine producers and food producers - and sample their wares.
- The London Bus Museum - explore the iconic English double decker bus - as well as some older horse drawn vehicles.
- Visit The Terry Pratchett Owl Parliament at Birdworld- see these native English owls and many other English species.
- Explore the British Wildlife Centre- and see native English wildlife close up!
- Spend a night of luxury and a traditional English B&B at Broadway Barn
- Take a stroll around Hatchlands park- followed by traditional afternoon tea and cake
- Visit Watts Gallery - Artists' Village- a unique English Gallery, for a world renowned English artist, in a quintessentially English Village.
- Bring the family, especially the young ones, to visit Bocketts Farm and meet some traditional English livestock
- Discover mediaevel Betchworth in an exhbition at Dorking Museum of English life in times gone by.
- Early Daffodill Competition at RHS Garden Wisley- There is nothing more English than a Flower Show!
- See work by renowned English Sculptor Henry More at The Lightboxin an exhibition Sculpting From Nature.
- Visit the Spring Plant Fair at RHS Garden Wisley- a beautiful English Garden - and you can buy plants to create your own too!
- Visit Abbot's Hospital in Guildford High Street - built by George Abbot - Archbishop of Canterbury in 1619
- Take a trip on the Wey and Arun Canal and enjoy the English countryside at a leisurely pace
- Join in a Yoga Workshop at The Lightbox
- Attend the Spring Classics Concert with Guildford Symphony Orchestraat the stunning Charterhouse in Godalming.
- Take the little ones to enjoy some English theatre at Dorking Halls with The Tiger Who Came to Tea
- Have fun at The Boileroom
- Join a Drawing Class for Adults at The Lightbox
- See the Hippeastrums in the Glasshouse at RHS Garden Wisley
- Join the Easter Garden Detectives and Lindt Easter Egg Hunt on 1&2 April at RHS Garden Wisley
- Take a guided walk around Dorking with Dorking Museum
- Explore Dorking's South Street Caves
- While away an afternoon at Godalming Spring Festival
- Have fun at the Easter Pantomime at Dorking Halls - Robin Hood
- Take a guided walk on the Historic Deepdeen Trail with Dorking Museum
- Take the rare opportunity to visit Mane Chance Sanctuary and meet their rescued and rehabilitated horses.
- Spend a day at Brooklands Museum- the home of British Motor Sport
- Spend the day at Denbies Wine Estate - England's largest vineyard
- Watch Surrey Scorchers Play Leeds in British Basketball League at Surrey Sports Park