Guildford is surrounded by countryside ideal for walking and cycling in the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
At the Tourist Information Centre you can get lots of maps and books to help you explore the countryside.
Apps and websites to help you find your way:
- IFootpath App
- Explore Surrey's countryside website for inspiration
- National Trust Downloadable Walking Trails.
- Hand Held Tours app Choose from: Guildford Historic Trail, Tranquillity Walk out of Guildford, the Newlands Corner and Shere Walk, or the River Wey Walk.
Ideas and inspiration
- Why not walk The Fox Way- either all in one go - or in sections depending on time and fitness.
- Find parks, gardens and countryside in the midst of the Surrey Hills.
- Visit Newlands Corner, Box Hill, Leith Hill to enjoy spectacular views from the county's high points.
- Why not take the challenge and cycle Box Hill, in the tire tracks of the Olympic Road Race.
- There are plenty of Cycle Routes to follow on the TravelSmart webpages.
- Hatchlands Park is child friendly and Dog friendly with lots to explore - including Wizard Wix's Willow Warren, a Treehouse and more. Hatchlands Park is a riot of stunning colours in the Autumn - make a note in your diary to go on the Autumn Colour Walk on 19 October
- Head for Chilworth and the Gunpowder Mills and explore the history of the area.
- If you are in Guildford Town Centre, you can be up on Pewley Downs in ten minutes and lose yourself in the beautiful views.
- For rather less hill climbing walk along the River Wey by Millmead Island
- Head out to the Riverside Park and Nature Reserve - it has a perfect picnic area by a lake and you will not believe you are so close to a town as vibrant as Guildford!
- View the countryside from a completely different perspective, and hop aboard a boat on the Wey and Arun Canal, or cruise the Thames with French Brothers.
Just take a look at this blog from PodCast to see the beauty of the Riverside Nature Reserve
For details of getting here, public transport and parking go to our Plan Your Visit page