Visit Guildford in the Heart of Surrey
When you visit Guildford you will find a vibrant market town with first class shopping, restaurants and attractions.
Step back in time and learn about Guildford's past or explore the surrounding countryside which is full of exciting attractions to visit.
The lush meadows by the River Wey are perfect to walk in or enjoy a picnic.
All of this is way too much for a day trip or a weekend, so you will find yourself coming back to explore more!
You can view our 2018 Visit Guildford Destination Guide here [37Mb]- or contact us to be sent a copy.
10 reasons to visit Guildford
- Shop till you drop - Voted the best luxury shopping destination outside of London (Experian 2012), Guildford offers traditional high street names, luxury brands and side streets with independent stores.
- Afternoon tea - Traditional afternoon tea is served all over town and further afield.
- Eating out - Guildford town offers a number of restaurants covering a range of international cuisine and gastro pubs offering traditional food, often locally farmed.
- Festivals and more - Whenever you visit you are bound to find lots going on from music to drama, choirs to pop bands. Look out for special festivals including Guildford Summer Festival, Guildford Fringe Festival and Guildford Book Festival which all bring national and international names to the town.
- Guildford nightlife - Visit the Yvonne Arnaud theatre for quality drama pre-West End, the Electric Theatre for local home grown theatre, or G Live for orchestras, bands, comedians and shows.
- Historic heritage - You will see buildings through the ages from the medieval Castle Keep, the Tudor Guildhall, Jacobean Abbots Hospital and Georgian Art Gallery.
- Countryside - From Guildford High Street you can see the green and wooded Mount rising to the south of the town. You can walk along the towpath of the River Wey or head for the famous North Down Ways.
- Views - Climb to the top of Guildford's Castle Keep for the most spectacular view of surrounding countryside. Other places we recommend for the best views are Newlands Corner, Box Hill, Leith Hill and The Mount - these make perfect picnic areas too.
- Memorable stay - Treat yourself to a luxury stay in Guildford town within walking distance of all the shopping and heritage or you can escape to the countryside in a hotel surrounded by lanes for walking or cycling.
- Art and culture - Join the Guildford Town Guides for a public art walk or head for Guildford House Gallery in the centre of town to see their constantly changing programme of exhibitions.
Guildford is the only town in Surrey with Purple Flag Status
To share your views on how you find Guildford's town centre's night life click here Purple Flag Survey