Tours & Walks
Guided tours to take you on a journey back in time to find the history and heritage of the area, and walking routes to keep fit.
Seasonal Highlight: Winter Walks
Denbies Wine Estate, England's largest vineyard, is situated on the outskirts of Dorking in the heart of the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Explore acres and acres of vineyard rolling into the distant hills, a captivating sight - in the middle of Surrey. The Visitor Centre is open daily, perfect for a pre-walk breakfast or warming refreshment in the middle of winter. With 265 acres under vine and 7 miles of footpaths which trail throughout the vineyard there are plenty of routes to explore. Trail suggestions and ideas here: http://www.denbies.co.uk/events/outdoor-events
RHS Wisley: Wrap up warm and enjoy the colours of winter at Wisley. Pick up a trail leaflet at the Garden entrance and follow the trail around the Winter Walk with its winter interest plants; colourful stems reflected in the lake, sweet smelling winter flowers, frost covered leaves and many different barks showing off their rich textures and colours. Beyond the Winter Walk trail, slip into the Pinetum with its gentle giant evergreens and winter heather collection; or wander along the grass paths through the Arboretum where skeleton trees are silhouetted against the sky. Drop in for a warming drink at one of the cafes, or stay for lunch. https://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/wisley/whats-on.
Winkworth Arboretum is open on Boxing Day to walk off your Christmas Dinner! Nestled on a hillside in the heart of Surrey, Winkworth Arboretum's wintry woodland is the perfect spot for a quiet walk in the crisp, clean air. With a mixture of level walkways and challenging hills, there's a route for everyone around this internationally significant landscape. When you've finished your walk, pop into the tea-room near the kiosk for a warming drink and a slice of homemade cake, baked fresh daily. Our friendly volunteer guides run regular tours around the Arboretum, which is a great chance to discover more about the Arboretum's renowned collection of trees. https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/winkworth-arboretum/features/winter-walking-at-winkworth-arboretum
Mince Pie March on Sunday 10 December 2017, 1pm Town Lock, Weybridge (parking available) A circular walk from Town Lock, past Coxes Mill with a chance to warm up with a mince pie and mulled wine at the White Hart in Addlestone. Walk back to Town Lock for a 3.30pm finish. £5 inc. mince pie and mulled wine. Booking essential on 01483 561389 https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/river-wey-and-godalming-navigations-and-dapdune-wharf/lists/christmas-on-the-river-wey
All Year Round Tours
- Denbies - with 265 acres under vine and 7 miles of footpaths. Also train rides around the vineyard and grape and grain tours in the winery. http://www.denbies.co.uk/events/outdoor-events/
- Treat yourself to a 2 day English Sparkling Wine Tour and RHS Wisley and enjoy local wines, beautiful accommodation at Broadway Barns, a visit to Cellar Wines and much more.
- Winkworth Arboretum. this internationally significant landscape is a wonderful place for a stroll in the spring as plants and wildlife spring back into life. In the summer don't miss the azalea steps and in winter the spectacular colours rival New England in the Fall.
- RHS Garden Wisley gardens are wonderful to visit all year round. If you visit with pushchair or wheelchair there is an easy route round and plenty of coffee shops along the way. Keep an eye on the events section. https://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/wisley
- Special booked tours of Guildford for Groups - contact the Tourist Information Centre
- Don't miss the Guildford Ghost Tour which takes place every Friday evening - informative and fun if you think you are brave enough!
Spring Tours and Walks
- bluebells - highly recommended places are Hatchlands Park; Winkworth Arboretum, and Pewley Downs and Chantries Wood.
- RHS Wisley
Summer Tours and Walks
- Azalea Steps at Winkworth Arboretum
- RHS Wisley
- Guildford Town Guides take visitors on free guided walks from May to September
- Three special walks exploring the life of Alan Turing and his time in Guildford take place in the summer - they are free but must be booked - full details here: Alan Turing Walks
Autumn Tours and Walks
Challenges for the experienced walker
- The Fox Way- a 39 mile circular walk through the beautiful countryside around Guildford - don't worry - the walk is split into 7 easy stages.
- You can download Easy Walks in Surrey that are suitable for wheelchairs and pushchairs or see this selection of walks that can be printed out with maps and instructions to follow.
- download the Handheld Tours App On this same app you will also find the Newlands Corner and Shere Walk; The River Wey Walk and the Witley and Hambledon Walk.
- For a quiet peaceful walk, download the pdf of the Tranquility Trail for Guildford. [2Mb]
- iFootpath (http://www.ifootpath.com/) featuring countryside walks across Surrey.
- The Surrey Hills website also have plenty of walks, and Travelsmart have lots of Cycle Routes you can follow.
Want to take your four-legged friend for a walk - check out Dog Walks at Hatchlands Park.
The Guildford Tourist Information Centre sells a wide range of books and maps to help you find your way around.
Many Attractions provided guided tours, or self-guided tours for pre-booked groups - we strongly recommend contacting individual attractions directly to ask about guided tours for groups.
Guildford and Surrey is famous for its food and drink, especially its sparkling wine! Why not explore with English Sparkling Wine Tours and get to visit the best local vineyards.