Conservation Area Character Appraisals
We are undertaking a programme of Conservation Area Character Appraisals.
The purpose of a Conservation Area Character Appraisal is to:
'Clearly identify what it is about the character and appearance of each area which should be preserved or enhanced and set out the means by which that objective is pursued'.
It is hoped that the 'clear assessment and definition of an area's special interest and the action needed to protect it will help to generate awareness and encourage local property owners to take the right sort of action for themselves'.
The aim of a Conservation Area Character Appraisal is to:
Improve the understanding of the history and historical context of the area
Generate awareness of exactly what it is about the Conservation Area that makes it 'of special interest'
Provide residents and owners with a clear idea of what should be cared for and preserved.
Provide residents and owners with a clear idea of what enhancements could be made to the Conservation Area
Provide a useful tool with which to guide future development, planning policies and practice for the area
The approved Conservation Area Character Appraisals can either be downloaded by viewing the documents on this page or are available to purchase (see below).
Appraisals have been completed and approved for:
Charlotteville and Warren Road
Holmbury St Mary
You can purchase a copy of the available documents by writing to Planning Policy, Millmead House, Millmead, Guildford, Surrey GU2 4BB. Please include a cheque for the correct amount, made payable to Guildford Borough Council, stating clearly which document you require. Alternatively you can purchase a copy from our Main Reception.
- Charlotteville and Warren Road Appraisal (sections one to four) - £9.50
- Charlotteville Warren Road maps one to four - £9.50
- Bridge Street Character Appraisal - £6.50 Please note: The Bridge Street Character Appraisal is available to download only
- Bridge Street map - £6.50
- St Catherine's - £6.50
- Town Centre Conservation Area Appraisal - £17
- Waterden Road Character Appraisal - £14
The following Conservation Area Character Appraisals are approved by the Council and are currently waiting publication and therefore are only available to download.
- Abbotswood (full set of documents) - £14
- Chilworth Character Appraisal - £6.50
- Chilworth conservation area boundary map - £6.50
- East Clandon Character Appraisal - £6.50
- East Clandon map - £6.50
- Onslow Village Character Appraisal - £6.50
- Pirbright Area Appraisal (full set of documents) - £14
- Shere Character Appraisal - £6.50
- Shere map - £6.50
- Conservation Areas
- Article 4 Direction
- Map of listed buildings and Conservation Areas
- Listed and locally listed buildings
- Areas of High Archaeological Potential
- Scheduled Monuments
- Planning enforcement
- Making a planning application
- Planning and building control documents
- Planning policy and Local Plan
Conservation area character appraisals