We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We also set analytics cookies to help us improve it, this information is collected in a way that does not allow us to identify anyone. Find out more about our cookies and how to block them. Find out more about Cookies

Who can claim Local Council Tax Support?

Anyone who has to pay council tax can claim Local Council Tax Support.

They may:

  • have a partner, or be single
  • be a pensioner
  • be employed or self employed
  • get other Social Security benefits


  • working age people with more than £6,000 in savings may not get Local Council Tax Support, even if their income is low
  • pensioners with more than £16,000 may not get Local Council Tax Support even if their income is low
  • full-time students cannot claim council tax benefit unless they are:
    • pensioners
    • lone parents
    • disabled
    • receiving Income Support
    • receiving Universal Credit
    • Employment and Support Allowance Income Related - known as ESA (IR)
    • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance - known as JSA (IB)
    • or they have a partner and have dependant children or are responsible for a child boarded out with them

If you have come to the United Kingdom (UK) within 5 years of your claim, this may also affect your entitlement.

Some asylum seekers and people who are sponsored to be in the UK, cannot get Local Council Tax Support.