Who can claim housing benefit?

Anyone who falls into one of the categories detailed earlier and has to pay rent can claim housing benefit.

They may:

  • have a partner or be single
  • be employed or self-employed
  • get other social security benefits

But, people with more than £16,000 in savings may not get housing benefit even if their income is low.

Full-time students cannot claim housing benefit unless they are:

  • pensioners
  • lone parents
  • disabled
  • getting Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance Income Based - known as JSA (IB)
  • Employment and Support Allowance Income Related - known as ESA (IR)
  • or they have a partner and have dependant children, or are responsible for a child boarded out with them.