How do we pay housing benefit?

Council Tenants get a rent rebate. This means the benefit awarded is paid direct to their rent account. If their benefit changes, the amount of rent they pay changes as well.

Private Tenants and Housing Association Tenants get a rent allowance. We may pay this direct to them or send payment to their landlord every four weeks, via bank transfer.

Changes in circumstances

While you get housing benefit, you must tell us straight away about any changes to the information you gave us on your application form, especially if you stop getting Income Support, ESA (IR) or JSA (IB).

If you don't tell us straight away about any changes, you may get more benefit than you should. If this happens, we normally ask you to pay it back.