Terms and conditions
Regulations and conditions of tenancy of garages
- The tenancy is a weekly tenancy and may be terminated by the Council or by the tenant giving one week's notice to quit in writing before 12 o'clock (noon) on any Monday. Garage tenants shall pay the rent by direct debit except residential tenants of Guildford Borough Council who will have their garage rent added to their housing rent accounts.
- The tenant shall not sub-let the garage or part thereof.
- The garage shall only be used for storage of the tenant's vehicle, personal effects or household items, all of which are the tenant's responsibility to insure. The garage is not suitable for the storage of high value household items, including electrical equipment or items liable to deteriorate in either cold or damp conditions. The Council will not accept any liability for any loss, deterioration or damage to any item/s stored in the garage.
- The garage must not be used to store the following:
- Gas cylinders, whether full or empty.
- Any volatile flammable material, other than the fuel contained in the tank of a vehicle kept in the garage.
- Any corrosive substance other than the acid contained in the battery of a vehicle kept in the garage.
- Any material that has the potential to cause pollution.
- Scrap materials.
- Materials stored in connection with a business.
- No works to vehicles are permitted except for minor repairs to the tenant's own vehicle in connection with its use on the public highway.
- The tenant shall not cause any nuisance or annoyance to the Council, their tenants or to the occupiers of neighbouring garages or houses.
- The tenant shall report all defects or repair needs to the garage or its approach to the Repairs and Tenant Services Team, Neighbourhood and Housing Management Services, Tel No 01483 444222 or email email@example.com.
- The tenant shall be responsible for any damage (s)he causes to the garage and its approach whether caused wilfully, by neglect or by any other cause.
- The tenant is responsible for keeping the garage in a clean and tidy condition and also for maintenance and/or replacement of the garage door locks during the tenancy as necessary.
- The tenant shall arrange for the Council's officers or workmen, or any other persons authorised by them, to have access to the garage at all reasonable hours of the day upon request by the Council. At least 24 hours prior notice in writing will be given except in an emergency.
- The tenant must notify the Garages Team, Neighbourhood and Housing Management Services, of any change of address.
- A month's rent is payable by cheque or card in advance on receipt of the keys and tenancy agreement.
- On termination of the tenancy, the Council reserves the right to dispose of any items left in the garage. Any costs incurred will be charged to the tenant.
- On termination of the tenancy, all keys must be returned to the Council. Failure to return the keys will necessitate a lock change which will be charged to the tenant. A lock change will also be carried out in the case of an eviction. Again, this will be charged to the tenant.
- The Council reserves the right to terminate the tenancy with immediate effect in the following circumstances:
- The tenant is in arrears of rent
- The tenant is in breach of any other garage conditions of tenancy
- The Council will notify the tenant of any rent increase giving a minimum of 14 days notice in writing.
- Any notices or applications (unless specified above) shall be given in writing and addressed to the Council's Head of Neighbourhood and Housing Management Services at the address stated in clause 18 below.
- Identity of Landlord - the Council hereby gives notice that the name and address of the landlord of the premises for the service of notices (including notices in court proceedings) is:
Guildford Borough Council
If you would like any further advice or information, please contact the Garages team: