Empty properties are exempt from business rates for three months after they become vacant, or six months for industrial premises.
The period applies to the property and not the ratepayer. Thereafter 100 per cent of the rate is payable.
- Listed buildings are exempt until they become occupied again.
- Buildings with a rateable value under £2,900 are exempt until they become occupied again.
- Properties owned by charities or community amateur sports clubs may also be exempt.
Part occupied rates
If part of a property is unoccupied for a short period of time it may be possible to apply the empty exemption to the empty portion.
Please contact us to discuss whether it may apply to your circumstances. If it does:
- you will be asked to provide a plan showing the empty and occupied portions
- we may visit to view the premises
- the Valuation Office Agency will be asked to certify the rateable value applying to each portion
- a revised bill will then be issued.
The certificate expires either when there is a further change in occupation or at the end of the financial year (31 March) - whichever is the sooner.