Get advice on becoming a sustainable school, discover how your business can benefit from energy saving advice and find us out and about at events in the community.
Events in the local community
We have two thermal imaging cameras available for loan to Guildford Borough residents to survey your own home and we regularly run free training workshops on how to use a thermal imaging camera.
Thermal imaging cameras have lots of practical uses including detecting:
missing insulation in your home
thermal bridges in buildings
and electrical faults
Camera loan is dependent upon attending one of our free training workshops which will show you how to use the camera and interpret the information when surveying your home.
After completing the training you will be able to book and use Guildford Borough Council's thermal imaging camera to survey your own home.
Courses last approximately one hour with the chance for further questions.
To find out more about our courses, please contact the Climate Change Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 01483 444509.
Guildford Repair Café
Learn to repair your broken items at the Guildford Repair Café. Cafés occur monthly throughout the year at different locations in the Borough. For more information, visit the Repair Café page and like us on Facebook to keep up with the latest news (search 'Repair Café Guildford').
Guildford Indoor Hydro Project
The Hydro Project produces electricity by harnessing energy from water flowing down the River Wey. This renewable energy generation scheme is located in a grade II listed building: the Toll House on the River Wey. If you are interested in finding out about the history of the Toll House and how the hydropower turbine works on a guided tour, please get in touch to organise a tour. Tours are available all year round. Contact email@example.com or call 01483 444509.
At our Farmers' markets, alongside high quality fresh local produce, the Climate Change team exhibits to offer information on energy saving grants, products and renewable technologies.
Guildford in Bloom
Guildford in Bloom brings together community groups, businesses, schools and residents to promote imaginative ways to make the town and surrounding areas look their best and champion Guildford's natural environment.
Walking for Health
Walking for Health offers over 3,000 free, short walks each week. Find a Health Walk Scheme near to you.
School community support
Hydro Drama Workshops
Hydro drama workshops sponsored by Ecopare Ltd http://www.ecopare.energy.
Becoming an Eco School is a great way of promoting sustainability and getting the whole school involved. Visit the Eco Schools website for information.
Find more Eco School ideas, plus guidance on sustainable schools on the Surrey County Council website.
Useful teaching resources tackling energy, science and sustainability for 4 to 14 year olds are available from Join the Pod.
There are a number of local and national initiatives to help businesses become more sustainable through recycling, procurement procedures, energy efficiency and travel policies:
1. Guildford's commercial recycling services will help your business reduce, reuse and recycle. The service can be individually tailored to meet your specific business needs.
2. Sustainable procurement is not just about buying 'green' products; see Gov.UK's guidance on sustainable procurement for information and best practice advice.
3. Environmental taxes, Reliefs and Schemes for Businesses. Your business may be eligible for some government taxes, reliefs or schemes.
4. Small and Medium sized Business (SMEs). Energy saving tips are available from the SME Guide to Energy Efficiency.
5. Travel SMART in Surrey has information on workplace travel plans. which can help reduce your environmental footprint.
6. Surrey Liftshare encourages sustainable travel by linking drivers and passengers with a journey match.
We can also come and present some energy saving and recycling ideas to your business if desired.