When and how do I claim housing benefit?
When do I claim housing benefit? Claim housing benefit as soon as you think you need help with your rent.
Benefit is usually paid from the Monday after the date that you make a claim. We cannot normally backdate claims. If you know your circumstances are going to change - possibly your income will be going down or you will be taking on a new tenancy soon, you can claim up to 13 weeks before you need help. If you move home, it is important that you claim benefit within the first week of your tenancy starting.
How do I claim housing benefit?
You can apply for housing benefit using the online claim form.
- Apply for benefits online
- Benefits calculator
- What is housing benefit?
- Who can claim housing benefit?
- How do we work out housing benefits?
- What if I disagree with the way the council works out my benefit? Can I appeal?
- How do we pay housing benefit?
- Will other adults living in my home affect my housing benefit?
- Can I claim benefit on two homes when moving?
- Benefits - fraud investigation
- What is a Discretionary Housing Payment?
- What local bank information and proof of identification is required?
- What is Welfare Reform?
- Can I get any other financial help?
- Important information for new housing association and council tenants under the age of 35 on 1 April 2020
- Can hostel residents apply for housing benefit?
- Local Council Tax Support
- Universal Credit
- Local Housing Allowance
- Help with council tax
- Help for older people