We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We also set analytics cookies to help us improve it, this information is collected in a way that does not allow us to identify anyone. Find out more about our cookies and how to block them. Find out more about Cookies

How do I claim Local Council Tax Support?

You can claim Local Council Tax Support any time.

You can find out whether you qualify for Local Council Tax Support using the benefits calculator. Then you can complete your claim using our online claim form.

Do not delay in making a claim or you may lose some Local Council Tax Support.

All claimants will be required to provide original documents to confirm the details on the form and prove their identity.

The following list show examples of the documents we will accept:

  • Bank statements, last 2 months itemised
  • Birth certificate
  • Credit cards
  • Divorce papers
  • Driving licence (full)
  • Life assurance policies
  • Life insurance policies
  • Medical card
  • National insurance card
  • Passport, current and valid
  • UK residence permit
  • Utility bill, paid and in your name for the last quarter
  • Wage slips from current employer

When do I claim Local Council Tax Support?

Claim Local Council Tax Support as soon as you think you need help with your council tax.

Local Council Tax Support is usually paid from the Monday after the date you claim. We cannot normally backdate claims.

If you know your circumstances are going to change - possibly your income will be going down or you will be taking on a new tenancy soon, you can claim up to 13 weeks before you need help.

If you move home, it is important that you claim Local Council Tax Support within the first week of your tenancy starting.