We use Cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more about Cookies

Making changes to your electoral registration

Find out about opting out of the Open Register and how to change your details on the Electoral Register.

The Electoral Register

The Electoral Register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. It is used to make sure only those who are entitled to, are able to vote.

The Open Register

The Open Register is an extract of the Electoral Register that is available to buy (formerly known as the Edited Register or Version for Sale).

Being excluded from the Open Register simply means that your details are not available to purchase for marketing purposes. It does not affect your right to vote or your credit rating.

The law enabling people to opt out was introduced in November 2001. Before then, anyone could buy the whole Electoral Register for a fee. Organisations that bought a copy before the law changed could still be using your details.

Your details may also have been made available if you didn't opt out in each year since 2002. Read more on this on theInformation Commissioner's Office website.

Am I opted out of the Open Register?

If you are unsure whether you are on the current Electoral Register, please call 01483 444115 or email: electoralservices@guildford.gov.uk to check.

We will also confirm whether you are included on the Open Register on the Household Enquiry Form which you will receive during the Annual Canvass.

Changing your preference

You can choose not to have your details published on the Open Register by 'opting out' when you register to vote. However if you are already registered, you can change your opt-out preference at any time by making a request with your full name, address and an indication of whether you wish to be included or deleted from the Open Register.

You can do this by emailing your request to optout@guildford.gov.uk or by writing to us at Electoral Services, Guildford Borough Council, Millmead House, Guildford, GU2 4BB.

Change of name

If you change your name, you will need to complete a change of name form and provide proof of your change of name, such as a marriage or civil partnership certificate, an amended birth certificate, or deed poll.

These forms are currently only available from your local authority electoral services team, please call 01483 444115 or email: electoralservices@guildford.gov.uk  

Moving house

If you move house, you must register to vote at your new address. Make sure you tell us your old address and we will remove your old registration. You can register to vote atGov.UK's Register to vote page. 


If a member of your household has passed away, you will need to tell us so we can remove them from the Register of Electors.You can do this through the Tell Us Once service or alternatively you can tell us.

You need to tell us their name and address, and send us a copy of the death certificate (please do not send originals). You can do this by email to electoralservices@guildford.gov.uk or post to Electoral Services, Guildford Borough Council, Millmead House, Guildford, GU2 4BB.

Removing someone from the Register of Electors

If there is someone who is registered at your address but no longer lives there, please fill in our online Change of circumstances form.

Please also return any post we have sent to them, clearly marked as 'not at this address'. We will then be able to conduct a formal review and remove them. Please note this may take some weeks, and they may continue to receive post from us until the review is complete.

Removing someone from the Register of Electors will not remove their name from other public records such as the Council Tax system, so you will also need to contact them directly.

Adding someone to your address

If there is someone living in your address who is not currently registered, they can apply online on theGov.UK's Register to vote page.

Change of nationality

If you have changed your nationality, you must contact us because your nationality can affect which elections you can vote in. Please email us at electoralservices@guildford.gov.uk giving your name, address, old nationality and new nationality. If we need further information we will contact you.