- You are here:
- Home >
- Council and Democracy >
- Councillors and Decision Making >
- Your councillors and other local elected representatives >
- Review of councillors' allowances
Review of councillors' allowances
Following a review of our scheme of allowances for councillors, we have received a report from an independent remuneration panel.
The main features of the recommendations in the Panel's report are as follows:
- (a) The level of Basic Allowance payable to each of the 48 councillors increased to £7,405 per annum.
- (b) The payment of a Special Responsibility Allowance (SRA) to each of the following councillors:
|Role||Amount (per annum)|
Leader of the Council
Deputy Leader of the Council
Lead Councillors (excluding the Leader and Deputy)
Chairman of the Planning Committee
Chairman of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee
Chairman of the Licensing Committee
Chairman of the Corporate Governance and Standards Committee
Chairman of Executive Advisory Board
Chairman of Guildford Joint Committee*
Vice-Chairman of Guildford Joint Committee*
(c) An SRA for Political Group Leaders of £74 per councillor in the political group.
- (d) The introduction of a One SRA Only Rule, whereby no councillor shall be entitled to receive at any time more than one SRA.
- (e) That no more than 50% of councillors (24) shall receive an SRA at any one time.
- (f) The Co-optees' Allowance to remain the same at £370 per annum.
- (g) The Dependants' Carers' Allowance will be split as a General Care rate, which will remain unchanged, and a Specialist Care rate, which will reimbursed at actual cost.
- (h) The introduction of a policy to support parental leave for councillors.
- (i) Payment of Travelling and Subsistence Allowance at the same amounts that are payable to Council staff for travelling and subsistence undertaken in the course of their duties.
- (j) Increase the Basic Allowance, each of the SRAs, the Co-optees' Allowance, and the Dependants' Carers' Allowance annually in line with the percentage increase in Council staff salaries until 2023.
Having regard to the Panel's recommendations, we will consider the adoption of a new scheme of allowances at a meeting on 3 December 2019. Copies of the Panel's report are available for inspection at the Council Offices during normal office hours, and on our Councillors' allowances page.
If you would like to receive a copy of the report, please contact: John Armstrong, Democratic Services Manager, Guildford Borough Council, Millmead House, Millmead, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 4BB, or telephone 01483 444102 or email: email@example.com.