We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We also set analytics cookies to help us improve it, this information is collected in a way that does not allow us to identify anyone. Find out more about our cookies and how to block them. Find out more about Cookies

Financial help due to Coronavirus measures

Find out how to get help with your Council Tax payments.

Updated 26 March

Has your income dropped?

If you have lost your job or are on reduced hours we might be able to help pay your Council Tax.

Help can be given by applying for Local Council Tax Support. For more information and to see if you qualify please visit our Local Council Tax Support page.

£150 reduction

If you are already getting Local Council Tax Support and are 'working age' we will be reducing your bill by an extra £150 this year. You do not need to apply for this. If you qualify, you will receive a new bill once any award is made.

Short-term discretionary payment

If you are affected by the Local Council Tax Support Scheme and are struggling financially, you may be able to get some additional help through a short-term discretionary payment. For more details and to apply, see our page on What is a discretionary payment? 

We are also looking at other ways we can help financially and will publish details here as soon as we can.

Still having difficulty paying your Council Tax?

If you are still having difficulty making your Council Tax payments, please contact the Council Tax team to discuss these. Telephone 0330 1230081 or email Council Tax

When emailing please put 'DIFFICULTIES' and your Council Tax reference number (if known) in the subject line. 

Please explain your specific difficulties, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

For more general debt advice, please go to the Citizens Advice website or Money Advice Service website.

Other help

If you need help with rent or other living expenses, then you may qualify for Universal Credit or other state benefits. These are usually provided by the Department for Work and Pensions,  Details of how to apply can be found on the government's benefits page