We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We also set analytics cookies to help us improve it, this information is collected in a way that does not allow us to identify anyone. Find out more about our cookies and how to block them. Find out more about Cookies

£500 Self Isolation Payment

If you are working, on a low-income and have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace you could be eligible for a £500 payment.

The Test and Trace Support Payment scheme started on Monday 28 September 2020. It will end on 31 March 2021

Who can get the payment?

If you are an adult living in the Guildford Borough Council area who has been told by NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate, you will be entitled to a Self-Isolation Payment. You must meet the following requirements:

  • you follow the notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate 
  • you are employed or self-employed
  • you are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result
  • you are receiving one of the following benefits:
    • Universal Credit
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Housing Benefit
    • Income Support
    • Income based Job Seeker's Allowance
    • Pension Credit

Who cannot get the payment?

You will not be eligible for the scheme if you:

  • are quarantining after travelling abroad (unless you test positive)
  • continue to receive full wages while you self-isolate
  • can work from home during a period of self-isolation
  • are no longer required to self-isolate
  • have not received a notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate

How to apply

Before you start

You will need the following information to complete the form:

  • the Account ID you have received from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate, and an image of the notification
  • your National Insurance Number
  • details of your qualifying benefit
  • a copy of your latest bank statement. (The bank statement should be one issued within the last two months. It must clearly show proof of earnings if you are not submitting wage slips.)
  • proof of employment, such as pay slip.
  • proof of self-employment if you are self employed. This could include:
    • a recent business bank statement (within the last two months)
    • most recent set of accounts
    • evidence of self-assessment returns
  • contact details for your employer
  • any information from your employer confirming that you cannot work and will get a reduced income


When will I receive payment?

If you qualify and provide all the information we have asked for, we will aim to pay within three working days of validating your application.

A single £500 payment will be made direct to your bank account. This will be the same account you gave a statement for. We will email you to confirm the payment.

If you are overdrawn

If you are overdrawn and don't want your bank to use the payment to reduce your overdraft, tell the bank to use the payment to pay for something else. This is called 'right of appropriation'. More details on how this works are available on our Making an appropriation of funds order page.

How many payments can be made?

People in the same household can each apply to receive the payment, if they each meet the criteria.

You can claim more than once, if you are told to self-isolate more than once. You must meet the criteria each time, and your periods of self-isolation must not overlap.

Tax and benefit

These payments will be subject to income tax, but they will not be subject to National Insurance Contributions (NICS). These payments will be disregarded when calculating eligibility for other benefits. This includes calculating entitlement to Universal Credit.

Applying for someone else

You can apply on behalf of someone else, but the £500 must be paid into a bank account in the name of the person for whom the application is being made. If you applied on behalf of your parent, for example, the payment would be made into your parent's bank account.

Unable to fill out the form?

If you can't access the form yourself, and family or friends are unable to help you, please call 01483 505050.

Data sharing

To administer this scheme, we will share information you give us with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). We will also access part of your records contained in NHS Test and Trace data system. These are known as CTAS and DWP records and are used to confirm your eligibility for this scheme of payment.

We may also use the information we hold about you for the prevention and detection of fraud. Where the law permits, we will share information with other state bodies for auditing, statistical purposes and for administering public funds. We will not share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.


You may face prosecution if you have manipulated or falsified your claim to get these payments. This includes failing to self-isolate, which puts others at risk. Any payment made as a result of fraud may have to be repaid, as may any grants paid in error.

The Government is supporting us to make the necessary checks to ensure payments can be verified and have been made correctly.

If you have been told by NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate, you are required by law to self-isolate.

Discretionary payments

We have a discretionary payment scheme for exceptional cases that do not meet the main Test and Trace Support Payment Scheme.  icon Read about our detailed scheme [112.13KB] .

Please note that single full-time students will not generally qualify for benefit, and will therefore be ineligible for a discretionary payment even if they have applied.  Applying for benefit simply to access Discretionary Test and Trace support is also ineligible.