We use Cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. View our cookie policy

Gambling premises

Find out how to apply for a Gambling Premises Licence.

As a local authority, we have responsibility for licensing gambling premises, including:

  • adult gaming centres 
  • betting shops  
  • race tracks 
  • bingo halls
  • family entertainment centres

Before applying for a licence, please read our  icon Statement of Gambling Principles, [461.73KB] which describes how we deal with applications.

How to apply

Operating licences and personal licences are issued by The Gambling Commission.

To apply for a gambling premises licence:

  1. Download our icon gambling premises licence application form [383.74KB]
  2. Complete the form and return to Licensing, Millmead House, Millmead, Guildford GU2 4BB with the correct application fee. See our icon list of fees and charges. [22.62KB]

Consultation period

Your licence application will have a 28 day consultation period. During this period, your application must be advertised at the premises and in the local press, as well as copied to us and to the:        

  • Police Licensing Unit     
  • Gambling Commission     
  • Surrey Fire and Rescue Service    
  • Environmental Health     
  • Planning Authority     
  • Children's Services
  • HM Revenues and Customs

We consider representations received during this period from responsible authorities or interested parties, this includes anyone who:        

  1. lives sufficiently close to the premises to be affected by the gambling
  2. has business interests that might be affected by the gambling
  3. represents persons who meet points 1 or 2 above.

Licence reviews

As part of our licensing duties, we also consider applications to review a premise's licence.

A review application is subject to a 28 day consultation period during which comments may be made. We will hold a hearing to decide what action should be taken.

Anyone considering applying for a review is strongly advised to take professional legal advice and contact the Licensing Team before doing so.

For more information, contact the Licensing Team on 01483 444371 or email licensing@guildford.gov.uk.