Grass and vegetation

Grass cutting

We maintain and cut the grass on Guildford Borough Council owned land. This includes 2,600 acres of parks, countryside and open spaces around Guildford. We also cut the grass on behalf of Surrey County Council Highways so that roads and pavements are safe.

Urban areas

Urban areas are where grass grows in built-up places, these are generally areas with a 30 or 40 mph speed limit. After we cut the grass in urban areas we leave the cuttings of grass over the cut area. This helps to put nutrients back into the soil, prevents some weeds and preserves moisture.

Worplesdon Parish Council is responsible for cutting the grass in the parish of Worplesdon.

Rural areas

When we cut grass in rural areas, we aim to maintain the natural growth of wild flowers and habitats for wildlife. Grass that is next to any roads is cut twice per year. 

For borough housing grass cutting and garden maintenance enquiries, contact your area housing manager on 01483 444288.

Hedges and shrubs

We maintain shrubs and flower beds on Guildford Borough Council owned land, including parks and open spaces.

We are also responsible for maintaining and cutting the shrubs, flower beds and hedges on roadsides and pavements on behalf of Surrey County Council. This work will normally be carried out between September and February, avoiding bird nesting season to safeguard protected species.

This form will guide you through reporting a hedge overhanging on the highway and causing an obstruction. 

Report overgrown hedges on a highway


We carry out weed control on Guildford Borough Council owned land and Surrey County Council Highways. Weed control can have many benefits, including management of conservation areas, control over certain species, lowering flood risk and safer public spaces and highways.

Most residential roads in Guildford borough are treated twice a year, once in the spring and again in late summer. The sprays are timed with the weed growth for maximum control.

The active ingredient in the weed treatment we use is Glyphosate. This has a very low toxicity to humans, animals and insects and is EU approved for use in areas open to the public. To minimise the amount of chemical used, the spraying units use sensors to detect the weeds and apply the treatment.

Report overgrown grass and trees

You will need to know the location of the overgrown grass or trees, including the street name and postcode.

Report overgrown grass and vegetation to

You must give clear details about the location. If the location is not specific enough for us to find, or the vegetation is on privately owned land, we won't be able to help you.