Guildford Innovation Awards 2019
Inspiring tomorrow's solutions today
The Guildford Innovation Awards have been designed to celebrate what Guildford does best - Innovate! They are independent and impartial and recognise the inspirational innovations across a spectrum of sectors in the borough building upon the theme of supporting Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths subjects.
Launch - 3 June
Entry Deadline - 31 October
Judging Period - November
Event - 4 December
Innovation in Retail - Sponsored by Experience Guildford. This award highlights businesses demonstrating successful implementation of change through innovation in retail strategy, products, procedures or technology.
Caring for the environment - Sponsored by Dunsfold. Open to all innovations in the fields of engineering, science and technology that demonstrate a contribution to genuine sustainability or innovation across a number of sectors including but not limited to - the rural environment; energy-saving technologies; improving the quality of urban life.
Innovation in Healthcare - Sponsored by The Whiteley Clinic. This award recognises research and development within animal and human health.
Innovation in the Voluntary and Charity sector. This award is for an innovation by or for the voluntary sector, either designed or delivered by an organisation based in Guildford Borough, that addresses a genuine social need.
Innovation in the Creative Industries Sector - Sponsored by Charles Russell Speechlys. Open to organisations whose primary function is the delivery, development or production of the arts or creative services. This award will recognise the contribution the Arts industry makes to the economy and includes but is not limited to music, gaming and entertainment.
Emerging Technologies'Tomorrows World' -Sponsored by Butt Miller. This award focusses on emerging and enabling technologies across all sectors of industry and areas of research. This is the category for inspirational solutions for tomorrow's challenges, recognising the best of a 'work in progress'.
Young business of the Year. This award recognises companies trading for less than 24 months by the closing date of the Awards. It highlights the most inspiring launch and early development of a technology, product or service.
Digital Marketing. This new award aims to showcase the digital marketing agencies, consultancies or in-house teams and their interactive campaigns, promotions, creativity, communications or content.
Shooting Star. An award for young people (maximum age 25) who demonstrate outstanding innovative talent or promise. Nominations will be accepted from the nominee, an associate or employer.
In addition we will make an award for Most Outstanding Innovation - Sponsored by Kyan. This award will be given at the discretion of the judges to an individual, company, project or technology that in the judge's opinion most successfully demonstrates creativity and innovation. The winner will have applied for one of the above awards.
You can enter the awards here: Innovation Awards Entry Form
Terms & Conditions of entry
- The awards are open to individuals, social enterprises and to businesses located in Guildford Borough. Businesses owned or part-owned by employees of the sponsors or members of their families are not eligible to enter.
- Once received, no entries will be returned.
- All entries must be submitted on the Innovation Awards Entry Form.
- Entrants are encouraged to send relevant supporting material (e.g. photographs, drawings, testimonials or videos) No responsibility will be accepted by the organisers or sponsors for any material sent.
- All materials and information submitted will be treated as confidential and will not, subject to 6 below, be disclosed to third parties without the express permission of the entrant.
- The winners may be required to take part in media publicity and this is a condition of entry. They must also agree to take part in the presentation ceremony and to exhibit their products/innovations at the presentation if required to do so by the organisers / judges.
- The organisers cannot accept any responsibility whatsoever for any infringement, loss of, or for the protection of patents, copyrights or any other rights in the ideas and proposals submitted in this competition. Entrants must ensure that any necessary protection of their interest is arranged before submitting their entries.
- The organisers cannot be responsible for entries which may be damaged, delayed, lost or mislaid in the post or otherwise or for any subsequent letter or document not being received on time.
- There can be no appeal against the decision of the organisers or of any of the judges. All decisions in respect of the judging must be accepted as final in respect of all matters concerning this competition including the interpretation of the rules and conditions.
About our sponsors
Experience Guildford - sponsors of Innovation in Retail
There is so much more to Guildford town centre than its beautiful cobbled High Street. Whether you're seeking family fun, things to do, retail therapy, leisurely pursuits, places to eat, business opportunities or simply a great day or night out, we have lots to offer!
Dunsfold Park - sponsors of Caring for the Environment
Dunsfold Park currently includes 500,000 sq ft of business space and has been rejuvenated from an empty shell to become home to some 100 firms, employing more than 800 people. The site has an active business community, including local firms providing a range of services to the surrounding area, such as electrical engineering, building contracting, printing, joinery and manufacturing. There are also global companies developing ground-breaking technologies on site, such as ocean temperature surveys, clean air systems, fuel cell technology and audio design and manufacture.
The estate is also home to the infamous Top Gear show and has acted as a backdrop to a number of small screen and Hollywood blockbusters, including Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang, Airbourne, Spooks, Come Fly With Me, World War Z, Casino Royale and the Da Vinci Code.
Whiteley Clinics - sponsors of Innovation in Healthcare
Our own continued research, audited results, inventions and new technologies used in varicose veins treatment have led to the development of The Whiteley Protocol®, a standard of excellence for the diagnosis and treatment of varicose veins.
Charles Russell Speechlys - sponsors of Innovation in the Creative Industries Sector
We pride ourselves on delivering solutions and personal guidance supported by legal insight and commercial judgment, building successful and longstanding relationships with our clients.
The firm is a patron of the arts and a strong supporter of the local creative industries. It sponsors Guildford Shakespeare Company and also supports many creative industry community projects through its Community Fund.
By sponsoring the award for Innovation in the Creative Industries Sector, the company hopes to help more creative organisations gain recognition and exposure for the work they do. Whether they are fledgling games developers needing help taking their games to market, or entertainment organisations seeking to raise their profile and attract new audiences, awards such as this one play a part in making that happen.
Butt Miller - sponsors of Emerging Technologies'Tomorrows World'
Research and Development Expenditure doesn't always take the form of laboratory-based work and we are happy to talk to businesses about their projects to help them identify whether they are eligible for a claim.
Kyan - sponsors of Most Outstanding Innovation
For over 15 years, Kyan has specialised in Ruby on Rails, a fast and robust way to prototype and build award-winning products for our clients.
HR Dept - sponsors of Young Business of the Year
Polystream - sponsors of Shooting Star
Polystream is striving for a seamless user experience in 3D application streaming. With a growing 3D games and applications market, the increase of global cloud infrastructure, the immense power of GPUs and internet connections, the only obstacle to streaming interactive 3D applications via the cloud is scalability. Polystream has found the solution to this resource and cost problem with a patented and proven technology that leverages your GPU to give the best possible experience, with no downloads, no installs, just instant games and applications from the cloud.
2018 Innovation Award Winners
Get inspiration from our 2018 award winners, you can watch their acceptance videos on our Innovation Award Winners 2018 page.