How to apply for the Mayor of Guildford's Local Distress Fund

The Mayor of Guildford's Local Distress Fund offers help to individuals and families in our borough who are experiencing financial difficulties. Find out how to apply.

If you would like to apply for a grant from the Mayor of Guildford's Local Distress Fund you must:

  • live in the borough of Guildford

  • be referred by a third party, such as a Guildford Borough Council Officer, Councillor, Citizens Advice Bureau, Social Services, Health Visitor, doctor, school

  • check if you should first apply to Guildford Poyle Charities. This applies if your address is in the central area of Guildford - see map.

Poyle Charities postcode map

Applying to Guildford Poyle Charities

If your address falls within the postcode areas GU1, GU2, part of GU3 and part of GU4, then the third party who has referred you and is applying for you, must first contact Guildford Poyle Charities.

To apply:

Unsuccessful applications to Guildford Poyle Charities

If your application to Guildford Poyle Charities is unsuccessful, then please apply to the Mayor of Guildford's Local Distress Fund.

You must declare on the application that you have previously applied to Guildford Poyle Charities but have been unsuccessful.

Please give details as to why the application was declined. If you do not do this, your application will be referred back to you.

Applying to the Mayor of Guildford's Local Distress Fund 

Our online application process is straightforward and most applications are turned around within five working days.

A third party must apply on your behalf.

Please note that you will be asked to give financial information, including details of savings and income. This information will be used to help us assess your application.

Therefore, the third party must demonstrate (by ticking the appropriate box) that they have your permission to share the personal information that is contained within the application.

The third party applying for the fund should follow these steps:

  • The first step is to email to ask for a user name and password.  At this point, you will be asked to provide a copy of your Privacy Policy.

  • Once you have received your user name and password, click the Organisation Login link.

  • Attach a supporting letter with your form, and a quotation or proforma invoice if you are applying for a grant for a specific item. This especially applies to carpeting. The Trustees will not consider an application for carpeting without a quotation.

  • If the application is approved, an electronic BACS payment will be sent to the third party to give the financial help needed.  Third party organisation's bank details (account name, account number and sort code) should be confirmed within 'Cheque Payable to' section of the form.

  • The third party must return a signed Grant Acknowledgement Form, signed by both parties, and any unused money is to be returned to the fund. Please also send photocopies of receipts for items purchased, if appropriate, to Annette Stone, Civic Support, Millmead House, Millmead, Guildford, Surrey GU2 4BB. 

Where the individual concerned is under 21 years of age and resides or attends school in our borough, the application will be automatically directed to the Arundel House Charity.

If you have already applied to Guildford Poyle Charities, the Mayor of Guildford's Local Distress Fund will not be able to provide funding if you are applying for the same item. However, you may apply for a different item for the same person.

The Mayor of Guildford's Local Distress Fund details

The maximum grant that can be given is up to £250 (one application only within a calendar year).

What the grant may be given for

Grants may be given for kitchen items and appliances, household furniture, clothing, Debt Relief Orders.

What grants are not given for

Grants will not be given for ongoing expenses, such as, rent, utility bills, debts.

School uniforms

Before applying for a grant towards the cost of school uniforms from the Mayor of Guildford's Local Distress Fund, please check with your school's Home School Link Worker as they may be able to help.


If applying for a grant towards the cost of carpeting, please confirm room measurements.

For more information about the Mayor of Guildford's Local Distress Fund or the Arundel House Charity, please email