We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We also set analytics cookies to help us improve it, this information is collected in a way that does not allow us to identify anyone. Find out more about our cookies and how to block them. Find out more about Cookies

Permitted development

You can make certain types of changes to a house without applying for planning permission. This is known as permitted development.

Permitted development rights have specific conditions such as the position, size, height and materials involved in the work.

Permitted development rights do not relate to flats or maisonettes, apart from the installation of solar panels.

We cannot provide advice or offer an opinion by telephone, letter or email to confirm whether your proposals are within permitted development rights. However, we do offer a pre-paid pre-application advice service.

You can also find further information about permitted development on the Planning Portal, including interactive guides to take you through what needs planning permission for residential properties.

Lawful Development Certificates

If you want formal confirmation that your proposal does not require planning permission, you can submit an application for a Lawful Development Certificate (LDC). This is subject to an application fee.

It is not compulsory to have an LDC but there may be times when you need one. There are usually three occasions when it is appropriate to apply for an LDC.

Lawful Development Certificate - Proposed Use/Development

  • Where you consider that your proposed development or use does not need planning permission as it falls within your permitted development rights.

Lawful Development Certificate - Existing Use/Development

  • Where you have erected a structure or building within the last four years or have undertaken a change of use of land within the last 10 years and now need confirmation that the structure, building or change of use was lawful and under permitted development rights.

  • Where you erected a building or structure more than four years ago or have undertaken a change of use of land or breached conditions for more than 10 years and have sufficient proof of the facts. In this case a Lawful Development Certificate will provide immunity from the Council undertaking enforcement action against you.

You must provide us with sufficient factual information for us to consider your application.

Further information and guidance about Lawful Development Certificates is available on the Planning Portal.