Guildford resident parking
We provide a number of permit only spaces in Guildford for use by residents and their visitors during the day.
Between certain hours, only permit holders can park in these spaces. Signs in the streets where this system is in operation will state these times, which are known as 'controlled hours'. This means that most of the on-street parking is controlled during the hours 8.30am to 6pm, Monday to Saturday, including public/bank holidays. However, in Dene Road, Denmark Road and Eastgate Gardens the charging hours are 8.30am to 9pm seven days a week. There are also a number of bays where you may park without a permit for 2 or 4 hours (depending on the zone). In the inner town centre, there are three types of bays:
- Pay-and-display only bays.
- Dual-use bays, both for pay-and-display and permit-holders.
- Permit-holder only bays.
Who can apply for a resident parking permit?
- Households with no off-street parking facilities can buy up to two resident parking permits each year.
- Households with one off-street space (for example, in a garage or on a drive) and at least two vehicles at that property can buy one resident parking permit each year.
- Residents in the inner town centre (Zone D) can only buy one permit in that zone. However, they can buy a second permit in a neighbouring zone. You will never be allowed two permits within the same zone.
- As there is a waiting list for Zone D permits, residents are usually offered a permit in an adjacent area. Your request must be put in writing to go on the waiting list.
- A second permit will be issued only once the first permit-holder has reached the top of the waiting list and been offered a Zone D permit.
Resident Permit holders clearly displaying a valid Area D permit, are permitted to park free of charge after 6pm Monday to Saturday and after 5pm on Sundays, until the start of the daytime charges on the following day, in Guildford Borough Council's Pay and Display Car Parks.
How much does a resident parking permit cost?
- One resident's permit costs £50 each year.
- A second resident's permit costs a further £80 each year.
Discounts are given if the vehicle is under 1200cc or powered by an alternative fuel source; further details on application.
The permits are valid from 1 October to 30 September. We will charge you on a pro rata basis for any permits you buy during the year.
How do I apply for a resident parking permit?
Call the Parking Office on 01483 444533 to apply for a resident parking permit.
When you send us your application form, you will need to provide evidence that you are a resident at that property and proof that you own the vehicle or vehicles you would like permits for.
How do I apply for a resident's visitor permit?
You can buy a resident's visitor permit for any visitor who needs to park for up to a day in your street during controlled hours. These permits are meant for genuine visitors to your home.
Visitors' permits are valid for one day and cost £2 each. One household can buy up to 30 permits each year. However, we may agree to a household buying more in appropriate circumstances.
Updated proof of residence will be required on every purchase, for example, Utility Bill, Bank Statement dated for the current or previous month.
Call at the Parking Office (Laundry Road, Guildford, GU1 4PX) to purchase visitor permits or please download the PDF file for the visitor permit application form. Return the form to the parking office with updated proof of residence and your remittance should be made payable to "Guildford Borough Council".
Change of details of a current resident parking permit
To change your existing resident parking permit, contact the parking office or download the PDF file in the downloads section of this page and fill in the replacement form. Return the form to the parking office with your current permit, together with the new vehicle registration document (V5C) stating your name and address.
Please be aware that when changing your permit there may be a refund or extra charge if the size of the engine or type of fuel used changes. If a resident's parking permit is lost and a duplicate required, there is a replacement charge of £15.
- North Street Market
- Request a parking bay suspension
- Pay or challenge a parking fine
- Car parks
- RingGo phone and pay parking
- On-street parking
- Park and ride
- Abandoned vehicles - reporting and procedures
- Disabled parking
- Requesting changes to parking controls
- Car clubs - a flexible alternative to car ownership
- Parking Strategy
Guildford resident parking