Coronavirus - food safety advice takeaway/delivery
Our Food Safety Team has some useful advice for food businesses that want to start offering food takeaway and delivery during the Coronavirus (Covid-19) period.
You should review your procedures to make sure you have taken into account any extra hazards linked to takeaway and delivery.
Issues to consider
- Review your menu. Think about which items are suitable for takeaway and delivery.
- Check insurance for you and your delivery staff to make sure it covers these extra activities (for example, does your car insurance allow the vehicle being used for deliveries to be used for 'business purposes'?).
- Make sure you have enough storage for any extra stock you are buying.
- Think about how you are going to process the food orders, for example, are you cooking and cooling in advance or cooking to order?
- If you decide to cook and cool, food must be cooled as quickly as possible. You can do this by portioning/reducing the amount of food being cooled, transferring food into shallow trays, restricting joint sizes, using an ice bath etc.
- Food containers must be used for food only. They must be clean and in good condition.
- How are you going to carry out the delivery to maintain temperature control and stop cross-contamination? You may need insulated boxes, with separate boxes for cold and hot food items.
- Think about the distance you plan to deliver.
- Make sure the vehicles used to deliver the food are clean.
- Review your allergen procedure. Think about how you are going to make sure that the right allergen-free dish gets to the right consumer.
- How you are going to keep food hot whilst waiting for customers to collect takeaways?
- You have a duty of care to your employees so you must consider any additional risks to them, for example, driving risks, handling money and infection control.
See detailed food delivery and takeaway guidance on the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health website.
You may also want to read our Financial help and advice section to see how we may be able to help.
The Government has guidance on Coronavirus for employees and businesses, visit the Government website for more information.