Confirm your details on the electoral register
Every year we check who is allowed to vote in each household to make sure that the electoral register is correct and complete. We then publish a revised electoral register on 1 December. This is known as the annual canvass.
How does the annual canvass work?
In the next two months you will either get an email or a letter and paper form from us. Your reply is to confirm whether or not the details we hold for your household are correct. If you add a new person to your household, they'll need to register to vote. If they do not register online they'll be sent a paper form.
If you get an email or text message from us
- this means that everyone registered to vote in your household has been matched to local and national records
- you will be sent an email or text message from us in early August. Emails will show as coming from @guildford.gov.uk or email@example.com. When you reply it will show as going to firstname.lastname@example.org
- you need to make sure the details we hold for your household are correct. The email or text message will tell you what you need to do to reply. You can respond online on the official Guildford household information website (www.elecreg.co.uk/guildford-e)
- if you do not reply to the email or text message, or if we do not hold relevant contact details for you, you'll be sent a paper form in mid-September
If you get a letter and paper form from us
- this means that we could not match everyone registered to vote in your household to local and national records
- you will be sent a letter from us in mid-August. You need to reply to it even if there are no changes to your household. The letter will tell you how you can do that. One of the options is to respond online via the Guildford household information website (www.elecreg.co.uk/guildford)
If you do not reply when you need to
We will contact you again. This might be an email, a letter, or a phone call. If you still do not reply you may get a visit at your home.
If you have any questions, you can contact our elections team at email@example.com or on 01483 444115.
Your personal information
We will only use the information you give us for electoral purposes. We look after personal information securely and follow the Data Protection Act 2018. We will not give your personal information to anyone else, unless we must by law.