Toggle menu

Parking permit renewals

We are processing Guildford resident parking permits. Due to planned strike action by Royal Mail there could be a delay in receiving your new permit. Leave your old permit on display until you receive your new one.

Tell us about an issue with your council tax bill

When can I appeal?

If you disagree with any decision we make on your council tax, you can appeal against it.​

You can appeal if you think:​

  • you should not be responsible for council tax on a property​
  • your property should be exempt from council tax​
  • the amount you have to pay is wrong (for example, you have applied for a reduction but we have not awarded one)​
  • your property is in the wrong council tax band; or​
  • the date we have given on a completion notice is wrong​
  • if you want to appeal against your council tax band, follow the 'appeal a council tax bill or fine' guidance on the website​

You can appeal about a completion notice. If you do not think your property was finished, or could have been finished, by the date we have given, contact us. If we can't agree a new completion date, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service. You must do this within four weeks of us sending you the completion notice.

How to appeal

You need to give us the following information​

  • the surname of the bill payer​
  • the postcode for the property​
  • the council tax reference number, found on the bill​
  • your contact details, for example a daytime phone number or an email address
  • the reason why you want to appeal against your bill​

You can upload a maximum of five photos of any documents that support your appeal.

Appeal your council tax bill

What happens next?

We will look at the decision again to see if we can change it. We will write to tell you the outcome.​

If you disagree with our decision​

You can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service if:

  • you still disagree with our decision after a review, or
  • you do not hear from us within two months

You will need to fill in a Valuation Tribunal Service appeal form.

You must keep on paying your council tax as shown on your bill while your appeal is being considered.​

If you win your appeal and you have overpaid any council tax, we will refund you.​

Appeals to the Valuation Office Agency or Valuation Tribunal Service are free. They cannot award costs against you if you lose.​

You do have to meet your own costs in attending the hearing. You will also have to pay if you ask an agent to represent you.