Find out about the Mayor of Guildford
Role of the Mayor and Deputy Mayor
A member of the council is elected to be the Mayor for the forthcoming year.
The Deputy Mayor is elected in the same way.
The Mayor, and in his or her absence the Deputy Mayor, has the following role:
- to uphold and promote the purposes of the council's constitution
- to preside over meetings of the council so that business can be carried out efficiently
- to ensure that the council meeting is a forum for the debate of matters of concern to the local community.
- to promote public involvement in the council's activities
- to attend civic and ceremonial events
The Mayor traditionally steps back from party politics for his or her term of office.
The Mayor does not deal with complaints. To complain about a council matter, go to our complaints page.