Toggle menu

Your council tax, benefits or business rates accounts will be offline

From 4pm on Friday 31 March until 5pm on Monday 3 April you will not be able to access your council tax, benefits or business rates accounts on MyGuildford. This is whilst we run our year end processes. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Register an address or change the name of a property

We control the naming of the streets in the borough under Sections 17, 18 and 19 of the Public Health Act 1925. The numbering of houses and other buildings in the borough is controlled under Section 64 and 65 of the Town Improvement Clauses Act 1847.

Streets and buildings are named and numbered in line with the Local Land and Property Gazetteer (LLPG). We follow our Street Naming & Numbering policy, as well as the National Land and Property Gazetteer (NLPG) for best practice.

Register addresses for new property developments

Developers can apply to register an address for new or under construction properties. The Council will allocate addresses.

Where a new development requires a new street name, you may propose one name per street. We encourage developers to preserve any historic link to the land which they are developing by using a historically relevant name. If no historic link to the land can be found for use as a street name, names with a historic link to the local area are encouraged.

For each proposed street name, a naming consultation will take place with ward and parish councillors. Developers and consultees will have the opportunity to comment on suggested names before the final name is approved by the Council.

Add, change, or remove a property name

You can apply and pay online to add, change, or remove a property name of an existing property for £51.50.

We can only process a request to change the name of a property from the owner of the property or their appointed agent. We cannot accept requests from prospective purchasers or tenants.

A name can only be removed from a property if there is an existing property number to use instead.

To avoid potential address problems, we cannot register a new name if it's the same or similar to a name of another property in the local area.

If an amendment to a property name is accepted, the Council will inform the following external bodies (subject to their agreement):

  • Royal Mail

  • Surrey Police

Approved applications will be registered immediately, we cannot specify a certain date. If your property name change requires brand new addresses to be created then submit an application using the register addresses for new property developments form.