Toggle menu

Anti-social behaviour

What is anti-social behaviour?

✔ behaviour that has caused, or is likely to cause, harassment, alarm or distress to any person

✔ aggressive, intimidating or destructive activity that damages or destroys another person's quality of life

✔ a range of crime, nuisance and disorder which affects people's lives on a daily basis


  • rowdy, noisy behaviour in an otherwise quiet neighbourhood
  • night time noise from houses or gardens, especially between 11pm and 7am
  • threatening, drunken or intimidating behaviour 
  • vandalism, graffiti or fly-posting
  • litter and fly-posting 
  • aggressive begging
  • drinking in the street
  • setting off fireworks late at night
  • abandoning cars

When is it not anti-social behaviour 

children playing in the street or communal areas - unless they are causing damage to property

young people gathering socially - unless they are rowdy, inconsiderate and being intimidating to individuals

being unable to park outside your own home

DIY and off-road car repairs - unless these are taking place late at night or early in the morning.

What can I do if I am experiencing anti-social behaviour?

If you feel that you're the victim of anti-social behaviour, you should consider the following steps.

Be reasonable, ask yourself;

  • is the behaviour persistent and ongoing?
  • are my neighbours also bothered by it?
  • is it normal behaviour or reasonable living noise, like a baby crying, birthday party or children playing football?
  • am I being reasonable? People of different ages and different lifestyles might find that at times they are disturbed by other people in the community.

Gather evidence:

  • start to keep a log, or diary, of incidents. This information will be crucial if you decide to make a formal report.
  • keep written evidence of threats
  • gather petitions
  • accept offers of noise monitoring equipment from our Regulatory Services.

Take reasonable action

  • If appropriate, speak to whoever is causing the anti-social behaviour and ask them politely if they can stop.
  • Get involved in your local community. Initiatives like neighbourhood watch really make a difference to how safe a community feels.
  • Join your local residents' association to share concerns and coordinate action.

Contact support services 


Report the anti-social behaviour to the relevant agency as soon as possible. Reporting each incident provides vital information to the relevant agencies who can then respond or take action if necessary. 

Report anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour is dealt with by a number of different organisations.  

Use the ASB Help Act Now interactive guide (opens new window) to find out who to report your issue to.

The police deal with:

  • breach of COVID restrictions
  • anti-social use of vehicles
  • rowdy and nuisance behaviour
  • street drinking and anti-social drinking
  • begging
  • criminal damage/vandalism
  • drug dealing
  • misuse of airguns and inappropriate use of fireworks

You can report the above anti-social behaviour to police online, via social media or by calling 101 (999 in an emergency)

Guildford Borough Council deal with: 

You can report the above anti-social behaviour by clicking the links. 

Social Housing Providers deal with:

  • noisy tenants
  • tenants committing anti-social behaviour

If you are a Guildford Borough Council housing tenant, or the anti-social behaviour is being committed by a Guildford Borough Council housing tenant, then you can find out more about how to contact your housing officer by visiting our housing pages.

If you are a Housing Association tenant, or the anti-social behaviour is being committed by a Housing Association tenant, then you can find out more about how to report the issue on your Housing Association website.

Some of the larger Housing Associations in the area include:

Surrey County Council deal with:

  • hedges and highways
  • street lighting
  • adult or child safeguarding concerns

You can report the above concerns to Surrey County Council online at Surrey County Council's website

ASB case reviews

If you have made reports regarding an anti-social behaviour problem but the issue hasn't been resolved, you may be able to apply for an ASB case review.