Toggle menu

Help us make our website better

Can you easily find what you're looking for on our website?

We're carrying out user-testing to make sure we understand where you think you'll find certain information on our website. We'd like you to help us by completing short navigational tasks.

Go to our website testing page

Council owned trees

Private trees

Please do not contact us about private tree issues. We can't help with tree issues between neighbours. We do not inspect trees on private land as we are not responsible for these trees.

Trees on private land are the responsibility and liability of the landowner. If the landowner is unknown, you can search for them using the Land Registry.

Some trees within our borough are protected by Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs). To carry out work to a tree protected under a TPO, you need permission. You must apply to the planning department if you wish to carry out work on a tree protected by a TPO. This also applies to trees within a conservation area. Special provisions apply to trees within a conservation area.

You can use the 'About my area' section of your MyGuildford account to find out about local TPOs and conservation areas.

Always ask for proof of 'public liability insurance' before letting individuals or companies work on your trees. You can find approved tree surgeons and consultants on the Arboricultural Association website.