Toggle menu

Apply for the Mayor of Guildford's Local Support Fund

What you need to know

The Mayor of Guildford's Local Support Fund helps people facing financial problems.

You can apply for a grant from the Mayor of Guildford's Local Support Fund if:

  • you live in the borough, and
  • you've been referred to us

The most that can be awarded is £250. You can only make one application within a calendar year.

If you've applied to Guildford Poyle Charities, the Mayor's Local Support Fund cannot provide funding for the same item. You can apply for a different item.

Someone must refer you

You cannot apply for yourself. A person or organisation must refer you and apply on your behalf. If successful, we'll send them the funds to pass onto you.

Referrals can come from many places including:

  • a Guildford Borough Council officer
  • a Councillor
  • Citizens Advice
  • social services, health visitor, doctor or school


Grants can be given for:

✔ kitchen items and appliances

✔ household furniture

✔ clothing

✔ debt relief orders

Grants will not be given for ongoing expenses such as:

✗ rent

✗ utility bills

✗ debts

School uniforms

You can apply for a grant towards the cost of school uniforms. Check with your school's home school link worker before you apply as they may be able to help.


If applying for a grant towards the cost of carpet, add the room measurements to your application.

How do I apply?

You cannot apply for yourself. A person or organisation must refer you and apply on your behalf.

The application will ask for personal and financial information such as:

  • your contact information
  • details of living arrangements
  • your financial situation
  • details or income and expenditure
  • your health

We use this to help us assess your application. We'll ask your referrer to show they have permission to share your personal details.

We aim to turn applications around within five working days.

How the referrer can apply

 To apply on behalf of your client, you'll need to:

  1. email asking for the link to the Mayor's Local Support Fund online form.
  2. complete the online form

For the application, you'll need to upload:

  • a supporting letter
  • a quotation, proforma invoice or screenshot of the item/s you are applying for funding for

You must upload evidence of the above for all applications. The trustees will not consider any application without these two documents.

What happens next?

If the application is successful:

  • the funds will be sent by electronic BACS to the person or organisation making the referral
  • the referrer will be sent a grant acknowledgement form. This must be signed by the referrer and the client. The form will be sent once payment of the grant has been made.

Any unused money must be returned to the fund.

If we receive an application for:

  • a person under 21, who
  • lives or attends a school in our borough

We'll send the application to Arundel House Charity.  Email: for more information.

Other help available

Surrey Crisis Fund

Surrey County Council runs the Surrey Crisis Fund (opens new window). The fund provides financial help to Surrey residents faced with an emergency situation. It can also help to set up a home in the community where no other funds or resources are available.

Glasspool Charity Trust

Glasspool Charity Trust (opens new window) is a national charity. It provides small, one-off grants to people needing financial support for everyday items.