Toggle menu

Apply for the Mayor of Guildford's Local Support Fund

The Mayor of Guildford's Local Support Fund helps people facing financial problems.

You can apply for a grant from the Mayor of Guildford's Local Support Fund if:

  • you live in the borough, and
  • you have been referred to us

The largest grant that can be given is up to £250. You can only make one application within a calendar year.


Referrals can come from many places including:

  • a Guildford Borough Council officer
  • a Councillor
  • Citizens Advice
  • social services, health visitor, doctor or school


Grants can be given for:

  ✔ kitchen items and appliances

  ✔ household furniture

  ✔ clothing

  ✔ debt relief orders

Grants will not be given for ongoing expenses such as:

 ✗ rent

 ✗ utility bills

 ✗ debts

School uniforms

You can apply for a grant towards the cost of school uniforms. Check with your school's home school link worker before you apply as they may be able to help.


If applying for a grant towards the cost of carpet, add the room measurements to your application.

How can I apply? 

The organisation referring you must apply on your behalf.  It's an online application. We aim to turn applications around within five working days. The application asks for financial information, including details of savings and income. We use this to help us assess your application. We ask your referrer to show they have your permission to share your personal details.

The organisation applying for the fund should follow these steps:

  • email to ask for a user name and password. You will need a copy of your privacy policy.  Once you have received your user name and password, click the organisation login link. (opens new window)
  • attach a letter and a quotation/proforma invoice for the item/s you are applying for funding for.  This is needed for all applications. The trustees will not consider any application without these two documents
  • if the application is approved, an electronic BACS payment will be sent to the third party. The third party's bank details should be confirmed in the 'cheque payable to' section of the form
  • the third party must return a signed grant acknowledgement form. The form will be sent to you when the payment of the grant has been made. It must be signed by both parties. Any unused money must be returned to the fund. Send photocopies of receipts for items purchased, if appropriate, to Annette Stone, Civic Support, Guildford Borough Council, Millmead House, Millmead, Guildford, Surrey GU2 4BB

Apply to the Mayor of Guildford's Local Support Fund (opens new window)

Please note:

  • if you have already applied to Guildford Poyle Charities, the Mayor of Guildford's Local Support Fund will not be able to provide funding for the same item. You may apply for a different item for the same person

An application is automatically sent to the Arundel House Charity if:

  • a person is under 21
  • that person lives or attends school in our borough

Email for more information about the Arundel House Charity.

Other charities may be able to give you the support you need. 

Surrey Crisis Fund

Surrey County Council runs the Surrey Crisis Fund. The fund provides financial help to Surrey residents faced with an emergency situation. It can also help to set up a home in the community where no other funds or resources are available.

 More information about the Surrey Crisis Fund (opens new window)

Glasspool Charity Trust

Glasspool is a national charity. It provides small, one-off grants to people needing financial support for everyday items.

 More information about the Glasspool Charity Trust (opens new window)