Apply for planning permission
Starting your application
We are receiving a high volume of planning applications and enquiries. It may take longer than the statutory 8 or 13 weeks to determine your application.
When applying for permission and planning works, you will need to factor this in. We may contact you to extend the time to deal with your application.
We are working hard to reduce the backlog as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Before applying, make sure you have answered the following questions:
- Do I need planning permission?
- Would I like some pre-application advice from the council?
- Have I got all the information I need to include in my application?
- Are there any Local Land Charges which prevent me from doing the work I want?
You can also check the Planning Portal guidance page.
When you make a planning application, we strongly recommend you make an online account. You can sign into your account at any time to check the status of your application. You'll also be able to make any amendments or provide extra information if we ask for it.
Standards for online applications
You can submit planning applications online by using the Planning Portal. Follow these standards to make sure we can process your application properly:
- submit drawings in a single layer PDF format with correct scale and paper size stated (e.g. 1:100 on A3)
- submit all other documents in PDF format
- each file submitted should be no larger than 5MB
- submit extra materials for major applications to us on CD/DVD
What to include
Every application needs:
- a site location plan and block plan showing the location and boundaries of the site
- plans of the work you want to do
You can use the Planning Portal's buy a plan service to ensure you meet our requirements. You may need to submit other documents, depending on the site you're working on and the work you want to do.
You might also need Building Regulations consent for your proposal. Our Building Control team make sure building work meets building regulation standards. This includes fire safety, structure, and thermal insulation. For more information, check our building control page.