Toggle menu

Apply for or renew a private hire driver licence

Apply for a private hire driver's licence

You will need:

  • completed private hire driver's licence application form (Word doc) [60KB]
  • to be aware of the content of HMRC guidance relating to tax registration obligations. See links below for guidance.
  • two passport-sized photographs, taken within the last three months
  • medical form (Word doc) [214KB]  completed within the last three months by your doctor
  • the correct fee payable by credit or debit card
  • practical assessment for Hackney Carriage and Private Hire driver pass certificate. The assessment should be no more than 12 months old
  • BTEC qualification certificate in the role of the professional taxi and private hire driver completed within the last 3 years
  • full DVLA driver's licence
  • completed DVLA mandate form; this will be produced and sent to you once you submit your application
  • enhanced  DBS Certificate (PDF) [165KB] issued less than three months before the date of application
  • proof of right to live and work in the UK
  • completed the Safeguarding Adults and Child Sexual Exploitation Course. The course is an online learning course provided by Barnardo's. It is available to complete through this page, Safeguarding Adults and Child Sexual Exploitation programme. Pass certificates must be provided upon application

Please note: If you have lived outside the UK for more than three months since the age of 16, you will need a letter of good conduct from the embassy or consulate of the country you lived in. This must be from the embassy or consulate that is based in the UK and must be issued within the last three months.

HMRC guidance about tax registration obligations