Toggle menu

Your council tax, benefits or business rates accounts will be offline

From 4pm on Friday 31 March until 5pm on Monday 3 April you will not be able to access your council tax, benefits or business rates accounts on MyGuildford. This is whilst we run our year end processes. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Single person discount

You'll usually have to pay council tax if you're 18 or over and own or rent a home. A full council tax bill is for at least two adults living in a home. Spouses and partners who live together are both responsible for paying the bill.

Reducing your council tax if you live on your own

If you live alone, or someone moves out and you are the only adult living in the property, you can claim a 25% discount. This is often known as a single person discount.You can apply online for the discount if you have a MyGuildford account. If you don't have an account, registration is quick and easy.

Register or sign in to your MyGuildford account

If you have not yet registered online

If you have not yet registered to access your council tax account online, there are more registration steps for you.

To complete this step, you will need the following information:

  • your council tax reference number - found on your latest bill
  • your name exactly as it appears on your council tax bill
  • your postcode
  • if you have applied for Local Council Tax Support or have been named on a council tax support application, you will also need to provide your national insurance number. This provides an additional level of security

Once you have linked your account, you can go into the account summary screen. You will see a list of 'quick links' on the right-hand side. Select the 'apply for a single person discount' link.

Telling us about a change

If someone moves into your property and they're an adult, you need to tell us straightaway. You will no longer qualify for the discount on your bill. You can do this online if you have a MyGuildford account. Follow the steps above and you can use the 'cancel a single person discount' form to tell us the date of the change. We will send you a new bill.