Toggle menu

Your council tax, benefits or business rates accounts will be offline

From 4pm on Friday 31 March until 5pm on Monday 3 April you will not be able to access your council tax, benefits or business rates accounts on MyGuildford. This is whilst we run our year end processes. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Appeal a benefit decision you have received

complaints icon

If you think the decision about your housing benefit or council tax support is wrong, you can:

  • ask us to explain the decision. You must do this within one month of the date on the decision letter. We can write to you with a detailed explanation.  We will send the statement of reasons to you in 10 days
  • if you disagree with the decision, we will look at it again. We will change it if it is wrong or explain why it is right

If you have received a letter telling you about a housing benefit and council tax support decision or we have explained our decision verbally and you still think it is wrong, you can ask us to look at the decision again.

If you want us to reconsider the decision, we can. You must let the housing benefit team know in writing, within one month of the date of the letter. 

We will then check if the decision is correct and if it is wrong, we will change it. We will send you a letter telling you of the new decision. 

If you do not agree with the new decision, you can ask us to look at it again. If the decision cannot be changed, we will send you a letter saying we cannot change it. The letter will tell you whether you may be able to appeal the original decision. 

Appeal against a decision about your benefit

If you believe a decision is wrong, you can appeal to an independent tribunal. We will write a report. We will send you and the tribunal a copy. We will ask the tribunal to arrange a hearing to consider the case.

To appeal, you need to fill out this form  appeal application form (PDF) [20KB] . Post the form to Guildford Borough Council, Millmead House, Millmead, Guildford, GU2 4BB.

What happens after you have made an appeal

For housing benefit

  • we will send your appeal to the Tribunals Service. You will be sent a copy of the appeal papers
  • the Tribunals Service will contact you regarding your appeal

For council tax support

  • the Valuation Tribunal handles council tax related appeals

Find out more about the Valuation Tribunal appeal process 

The result

  • you will get a decision notice explaining the tribunal's decision as soon as possible after the appeal hearing