Toggle menu

Slyfield community recycling centre closure

The Slyfield community recycling centre will be closed from 15 June to 30 June 2024 for essential maintenance. Find out more about alternative community recycling centres. (opens new window)

I've received a council tax reminder

Why have I received a reminder letter?

If you do not pay the instalments set out on your council tax bill, we'll send you a reminder letter. The letter will tell you the amount you have to pay to bring your account up to date. You must pay the amount shown on the letter within seven days of the date on the reminder.

We may issue a court summons if you do not make the payment.

If you fall behind with your payments again, we'll send you a second reminder letter. You must pay the amount shown on the second letter within seven days of the date on the reminder.

We'll only send two reminders in a tax year.

If you do not bring your account up to date, we may issue a court summons.

Help with council tax payments

Can I change the number of instalments?

You may be able to spread your instalments over the rest of the financial year. You'll pay less each month but the balance you need to pay for the year will stay the same.

If your last instalment for the year is not in March, you can spread your instalments.

You can check when your instalments are due by:

How to change the number of instalments online

To make instalment changes online you'll need to:

  1. log in to your MyGuildford account (opens new window)
  2. click the 'council tax and benefits' tile
  3. select 'continue' on the 'view other services' page
  4. select 'council tax' on the 'your services' page
  5. on your account summary page, find the list of quick links.
    • if you're using a computer or laptop these will be on the right-hand side of the screen
    • if you're using a mobile device, click 'quick links'
  6. In the list of quick links find 'change my method of payment'
  7. fill in the form

Once complete, we'll update your council tax account and issue you with a new bill.

Start managing your council tax online

To manage your council tax online you'll need to:

Once you have a council tax account number you'll need to:

  • link your council tax account with your MyGuildford account

To link both accounts you'll need:

  • your council tax account number - found on your latest bill
  • your name exactly as it appears on your council tax bill
  • postcode of your property
  • national insurance number if you:
    • have applied for Local Council Tax Support
    • are named on a council tax support application

Watch our video to find out more about linking your council tax account and your MyGuildford account.

When your account is linked to MyGuildford follow the steps above to change your method of payment.

Council tax support

If you are on a low income, you may qualify for Council Tax Support. If eligible, you can make a claim online. Visit our Local Council Tax Support pages for more information.

Council tax discounts

You may be eligible for a council tax discount based-on your living circumstances. For example, if you live on your own.

Find out more about council tax discounts and reductions