Toggle menu

Parking permit renewals

We are processing Guildford resident parking permits. Due to planned strike action by Royal Mail there could be a delay in receiving your new permit. Leave your old permit on display until you receive your new one.

Private renting housing standards

Gas, electricity and water guidance

We have the power to make arrangements for the restoration of gas, water or electricity supplies for the benefit of residents. Where the supplies have been, or are likely to be, cut off because the owner has not paid for the services. 

We will consider making such arrangements only as a last resort for emergency cases. In every case we will co-operate closely with the suppliers and wherever possible enlist the suppliers' support and assistance. Where the council makes a payment to restore the supply, we will recover the payment with interest from the owner of the premises.

Gas safety

Your landlord must, by law, provide you with a valid Gas Safety Certificate before you move in. 

Annual checks

They must also arrange for an annual check of all appliances in the house, to be conducted by a registered gas engineer who is registered with the Gas Safe Register.

You can check their registration on the Gas Safewebsite. 

More information

For more information on gas safety or to report a property with no gas safety certificate, visit the HSE website

Any repairs should be carried out before you move in. If these are delayed without explanation after you have moved in you should contact the housing team. 

Carbon monoxide and smoke alarms

From 1 October 2015 landlords are required to:

  • install a smoke alarm on every floor of their property
  • test the alarm(s) at the start of every tenancy
  • install a carbon monoxide alarm in any rooms containing solid fuel burning appliances

Failure to complete these requirements may result in a fine of up to £5,000.

Energy performance certificates

If you rent a whole house or flat, your landlord must show you an Energy Performance Certificate before you move in.

With all properties now rated from A to G, finding a more energy efficient property could help save you money on your fuel bills. 

Tenants have the right to request consent to carry out energy efficiency measures and these must not be unreasonably refused by the landlord.

It is unlawful for a landlord to rent out a residential property with an EPC rating of F or G (the lowest 2 grades) unless the property has been registered on the PRS Exemptions Register