Toggle menu

Help us make our website better

Can you easily find what you're looking for on our website?

We're carrying out user-testing to make sure we understand where you think you'll find certain information on our website. We'd like you to help us by completing short navigational tasks.

Go to our website testing page

Private renting housing standards for landlords

Your responsibilities

Landlords must keep the property in a good condition. Tenants could take the landlord to court if a landlord does not carry out repairs after being told about them.

We have a duty to deal with unsatisfactory housing conditions in the private sector. We have set up the Guildford Lettings Accreditation Scheme to help raise standards and promote good landlords. 

We have a duty to deal with serious hazards. Three of the main hazards are damp/mould, excess cold, and fire safety. 

We have different ways of dealing with hazards, including:

  •  informal hazard awareness notices
  •  formal improvement and prohibition notices
  •  specific provisions for dealing with urgent hazards

Damp, mould and excess cold are often found together. See our advice on dealing with damp and mould.

An Energy Performance Certificate is needed in most properties, this is to show the heating costs but does not take account of any damage to systems.

Fire safety can be enforced in any domestic property under the Housing Act. Further fire safety guidance is available.

Help available for private renting standards

Private renting information

Fire safety in rented properties

How to rent checklist