Toggle menu

Homelessness - duty to refer

What you need to know

Some public authorities have a duty to refer (DTR) people facing homelessness to us.

These include:

  • prisons
  • youth offender institutions
  • secure training centres
  • secure colleges
  • youth offending teams
  • probation services 
  • JobCentre plus
  • social service authorities
  • emergency departments
  • urgent treatment centres
  • hospitals providing inpatient care
  • the secretary of state for defence in relation to members of the regular forces

Before making a referral, a public authority must:

  • have consent from the homelessness applicant
  • allow the individual to choose public authority that they want the referral to
  • have consent to share the individuals' contact details. This is so the housing services team can contact them