Reductions for students and spouses
Who counts as a student?
You're a full-time student for council tax purposes if you're studying at university or most colleges and:
You are under the age of 20 and your course:
- leads to a qualification up to (but not above) A-level standard or equivalent
- lasts for more than three months
- involves more than 12 hours of study per week
You are undertaking a university or college course that:
- lasts for at least one academic or calendar year
- requires you to be actively studying for at least 24 weeks out of a year
- involves study of at least 21 hours per week during term time
Not all courses count towards 'full-time student' status. For example, distance learning or evening classes. You are not a full-time student if you're doing a course related to your job, such as a day release.