I've received a council tax summons
What happens at court?
You do not need to attend court.
At court the magistrate can only consider:
- if the bill and reminder have been issued correctly, and
- if the amount remains unpaid
They cannot say if you are the correct person to be paying or if the amount billed is wrong. They cannot make any consideration for you to make payment of the debt by instalments.
The magistrate will issue a liability order which allows the council to:
- contact your employer to take money direct from your wages
- make a deduction from your state benefits
- send the debt to an enforcement agent to collect the money. Enforcement agents were previously known as bailiffs. If your account is passed to our enforcement agent, you will get extra charges. Our enforcement agent is Rundles.
Visit our enforcement agent page for more information about actions the enforcement agent can take. Find out about the fees they are allowed to charge.