Toggle menu

Your council tax, benefits or business rates accounts will be offline

From 4pm on Friday 31 March until 5pm on Monday 3 April you will not be able to access your council tax, benefits or business rates accounts on MyGuildford. This is whilst we run our year end processes. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Reductions for people who are detained or in prison

Reductions for people who are in prison or detained

Adults living in your household are not counted for council tax if they are:

  • detained in a prison, a hospital or other place by a court of law
  • being held under the Mental Health Act (also known as being sectioned)
  • detained under the Immigration Act
  • imprisoned, detained or in custody for more than 48 hours under the Armed Forces Act or Naval Discipline Act

The detention does not qualify if the person is:

  • in police custody before a first court appearance
  • detained for non-payment of council tax
  • detained for non-payment of a fine

If we do not count this person for council tax and there are less than two adults in the property that are counted for council tax, you may be entitled to a discount.

You need to have a MyGuildford account to apply for this discount online. If you do not have a MyGuildford account you can set one up.

Register or sign into your MyGuildford account

If you have not yet registered to access your council tax account online, there are more steps. You can then link your online council tax account to your MyGuildford.

To complete this step you will need the following information:

  • your council tax reference number - found on your latest bill
  • your name exactly as it appears on your council tax bill
  • your property postcode
  • if you have applied for Local Council Tax Support or have been named on a council tax support application, you will also need to provide your national insurance number. This provides an additional level of security

Once you have linked your council tax account, you can go to the 'account summary' screen. You will see a list of 'quick links' on the right-hand side. You need to select the 'apply for or cancel a disregard' link.

You need to supply the following information:

  • the name of the person who was detained or remanded
  • the date that the person was detained or remanded
  • the address of the institution that the person is detained or remanded to