Toggle menu

Your council tax, benefits or business rates accounts will be offline

From 4pm on Friday 31 March until 5pm on Monday 3 April you will not be able to access your council tax, benefits or business rates accounts on MyGuildford. This is whilst we run our year end processes. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Reductions for people who are severely mentally impaired

Discounts for people who are severely mentally impaired

People in your household are not counted for council tax if:

  • they have a severe mental impairment of intelligence and social functioning. This is understood to be permanent

The person must also have made a valid claim for one or more of the following state benefits:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • The care component of a Disability Living Allowance. This must be payable at the middle or highest rate
  • An increase in the rate of Disablement Pension, where constant attendance is needed
  • Disability element of Working Tax Credit
  • Unemployability Supplement
  • Constant Attendance under a industrial injuries or war pension scheme
  • Unemployability Allowance under a industrial injuries or war pension scheme
  • Income Support where the applicable amount includes a disability premium
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • The standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • Employment Support Allowance (Income Related or Contributory)
  • Armed Forces independence payment
  • Universal Credit. This needs to include an amount due to limited capability for work or limited capability for work and work-related activity

You may be entitled to a discount if:

  • we do not count this person and there are less than two adults in the property that are counted for council tax

You need to have a MyGuildford account to apply for this discount online. If you do not have a MyGuildford account you can set one up.

Register or sign into your MyGuildford account

If you have not yet registered to access your council tax account online, there are more steps. You can then link your online council tax account to your MyGuildford.

To complete this step you will need the following information:

  • your council tax reference number - found on your latest bill
  • your name exactly as it appears on your council tax bill
  • your property postcode
  • if you have applied for Local Council Tax Support or have been named on a council tax support application, you will also need to provide your national insurance number. This provides an additional level of security

Once you have linked your council tax account, you can go to the 'account summary' screen. You will see a list of 'quick links' on the right-hand side. You need to select the 'apply for or cancel a disregard' link.

You need to supply the following information:

  • the name of the person in the household who is severely mentally impaired
  • the date they moved in with you or the date they became severely mentally impaired
  • upload a letter from the person's consultant or GP that confirms their diagnosis


  • in the free text box of the form, tell us the name and contact details of the person's consultant or GP. We can contact them to confirm the diagnosis