Toggle menu

Flood alert for Upper River Wey

There has been a flood alert issued for Upper River Wey in Guildford. Find out more about flood advice.

Supporting Ukraine

Ongoing support for guests and sponsors

Surrey County Council offers support on how to find a home, access essential public services, healthcare, find work and childcare and education services across Surrey. (opens new window)

Immigration information

The Home Office has published immigration information about:

The entry stamp you received on arrival into the UK provides evidence of your right to stay in the UK. The stamp is valid for the first six months only. To extend your stay for up to the 3 years you will need to apply for a Biometric Residence Permit.

Apply for a Biometric Residence Permit (opens new window)

Support from us

We currently offer the following support:

Help with council tax

The government changed the council tax rules for Ukrainian nationals living in the UK to:

  • if a Ukrainian national with a Homes for Ukraine visa only moves in with someone or to a property occupied they do not have to pay council tax. This will not affect the sponsors own council tax arrangements
  • if a Ukrainian national moves into an empty property, they will need to pay council tax. They will be entitled to a 50% discount if they hold a Homes for Ukraine visa. If any Ukrainian nationals are on low income, they can claim help with the remaining balance by applying for local council tax support

Benefits and financial support

If you have any questions or support call us on 01483 505050.

Find out what other help and support we offer by visiting our cost of living support pages

Guildford's family support

Our family support programme offers support to guests and hosts. We will be visiting or calling all guests and hosts over the coming months. This is to discuss any issues, concerns or help needed. Our team includes a Ukrainian speaker. If you want to speak to someone sooner, email us your contact details:

We are not able to provide specific housing advice.

Thank you payments under the Homes for Ukraine scheme

Sponsors of Ukrainian families will receive a monthly payment. The payment amount depends on the length of time your guests stay with you.

You will receive:

  • £600 per month for guests whilst they continue to live with you under the scheme

You will receive these payments for up to 2 years if your sponsorship continues.