Council Tax £150 energy bill rebate
What you need to know
In February, it was announced that council tax payers who live in a band A to D property will receive a one-off payment of £150. The payment is to support households with rising energy costs.
Who is eligible?
You are eligible if:
✔ you're a council tax payer on 1 April 2022 for a property
✔ your property is within council tax bands A - D
The criteria for the payment is:
- your property is your sole or main residence
- your property is not exempt from council tax or a second home. Some households with exemptions will still qualify such as:
- those occupied by students
- severely mentally impaired
- occupied solely by under 18 year olds
- annexes occupied by a dependant relative
- the person who pays the council tax is not:
- a local authority
- a corporate body or;
- other body such as a housing association
- the government or governmental body
Only one payment will be made to a household. Owners or occupiers of 'Houses in Multiple Occupation' will not receive a payment.
If you pay by direct debit
We have paid almost all the energy rebate payments to customers who pay their council tax by direct debit. If you pay by direct debit and receive a letter from us asking you to apply you can use the form to apply.
How to apply?
To apply you will need:
- your council tax account number as shown on your bill
- your date of birth and;
- your bank statement which shows your name, address, bank account number and sort code
We will only pay into a bank account of a person whose name is on the council tax bill.
We need this information to verify you are eligible. If you do not want to give us the information we have requested we will not be able to send you a payment. For more information on how we use your information see our privacy statements.
What happens if you do not apply?
If you do not apply we will take your energy rebate payment off your council tax bill instead and a new bill will be sent to you.
If you do not think you should receive the energy rebate payment email email@example.com or call 0330 123 0081.
Council Tax Discretionary Energy Rebate 2022-23
What you need to know
Every council has its own discretionary energy rebate scheme. We received £235,500. This will provide 1,570 payments of £150.00. Currently, our scheme has two strands. You can read the full document here.
We are giving out £150 to council tax payers in properties banded E, F, G or H. They must meet at least one of the following criteria on 1 April 2022.
- be in receipt of local council tax support
- be in receipt of a disabled band reduction
- be with either a carers or severely mentally impaired disregard
- be with a severely mentally impaired exemption
- be in receipt of housing benefit for a working age taxpayer
Where possible, we have written to eligible council tax payers to invite them to apply.
Strand Two - currently being assessed
The deadline for strand two has closed. We are assessing applications. We will process all applications and make payments no later than 30 November 2022.
We are paying up to £150 to council tax payers in properties banded E, F, G or H on 1 April 2022. They must meet at least one of the following criteria during the period 1 April 2022 to 30 June 2022.
The council tax payer or partner is receiving any of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit
- Housing Benefit
- Income-based Job Seeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Disability Living Allowance Care Element, any rate
- Disability Living Allowance Mobility Element, any rate
- Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component, any rate
- Personal Independence Payment Mobility Component, any rate
- Attendance Allowance
- New Style Employment Support Allowance
- War Pension
- Armed Forces Compensation Scheme.
- Industrial Injuries Benefit
- Carers Allowance
To apply, you must upload an image showing entitlement, as well as an image of your bank statement.
The amount we give will be determined by the number of successful applications. It will not be more than £150, but may be less.
How do I apply?
All applicants will need their:
- council tax number
- date of birth
- bank account details
All applicants will need to upload an image of their bank account showing:
- their name and address
- bank sort code
- bank account number
We will only pay into a bank account of the person whose name is on the council tax bill.
Applicants under strand 2 will need to prove they receive one of the relevant benefits. Upload an image of a document that covers any part of the period 1 April 2022 to 30 June 2022.
Frequently asked questions
How and when do I receive payment?
Payment is by bank transfer (BACS). We will aim to pay within 10 days of receiving your application. However, it may take up to 4 weeks to process your request.
If you do not apply, we will take your energy rebate payment off your council tax bill instead and a new bill will be sent to you.
What if you are overdrawn?
You may be able to tell your bank or building society how you want the money paid into your account. For example: you can ask your bank to only use your energy rebate payment to pay your electric bill. National debt line have a sample letter you can send to your bank or building society.
I pay my council tax by direct debit but have not had a payment
We have paid almost all the energy rebate payments to customers who pay their council tax by direct debit.
If you have not received your payment yet, it may be because:
- the bank account name on your direct debit does not match the council tax account name
- we have not received a recent payment from you, so we have been unable to verify your bank account
We will be in touch to sort this out.
If you pay by direct debit and receive a letter from us asking you to apply for the energy rebate payment you can apply for a Council Tax rebate.
If you have received a payment, but don't think you should have email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if I do not pay council tax because I receive full local council tax support?
You will receive the £150 energy bill rebate if you qualify under the rules.
What if the form will not allow me to apply?
This may be because someone in the household has already applied, or you do not qualify.
If you believe you should qualify, email us your reasons and we will review your application. You need to include your council tax account number, your name and address in your email: email@example.com.
What if I live in a band E to H house?
The government has provided us with limited funds to make some discretionary payments. We do not yet know the details of who will qualify for a discretionary payment. We expect the discretionary payments scheme for households in bands E to H will go live online in mid July.
Beware of scams
We will not phone you to ask you to give your bank details or card details over the phone.