Apply or amend a garden waste collection
What we offer
If you do not want to compost your garden waste and are unable to take it to the rubbish tip you can sign up to our garden waste collection scheme. This is a kerbside collection of garden waste, costing £45 per bin for 2022/2023.
What we collect?
✔ Grass cuttings
✔ Garden prunings
✔ Hedge trimmings
✔ Small twigs and other woody waste
✔ Dead plants and weeds
✔ Branches no larger than 7.5cm (3 inches) in diameter
What we do not collect
✗ Flower pots and seed trays
✗ Soil and turf
✗ Rocks, stones and pebbles
✗ Animal/pet bedding
✗ Kitchen or food waste
✗ Large branches (more than 7.5cm (3 inches) in diameter
✗ Household waste or metal objects
If you have ordered between 1st January and 28th February, we will deliver your bin in March. If you ordered your bin after 1st March and you have not received it within four weeks, use our online support form.
Garden and organic waste make up a large proportion of the rubbish which ends up in landfill. We are promoting ways of recycling this waste through home composting. Composting is nature's way of recycling decomposed organic materials into a soil known as compost.
Composters and wormeries
If you would like to compost but do not have a garden, then a wormery can be used. This will convert kitchen waste into concentrated liquid plant food and rich compost.
Call 0844 571 4444 to order a compost bin or wormery, alternatively order from the Surrey Waste Partnership website (compost bins and wormeries are not available from the Woking Road Depot).
How do I compost?
There are some excellent online resources that explain how to compost in your own garden. Recycle for Surrey provides useful information about what to compost and how to compost. More information can also be found at the Get Composting website and at the Royal Horticultural Society website.
A green cone enables you to recycle all household food waste in your back garden. For anyone who does not have the time to compost, Green Cone is excellent.
Find out more about Green Cones from the Great Green Systems website.
A hot composter, the Green Johanna recycles all kinds of waste food - cooked food, bones, meat and fish - into compost.
Find out more about Green Johanna from the Great Green Systems website.
If you are an existing garden waste subscriber, please remember:
- continue to use the bin from your last subscription
- contact us if you lose or damage your bin. There is a £30 replacement fee, unless the damage or loss was our fault
- your collection is a fortnightly service
- we will contact you when you need to renew your subscription
- if you have paid by direct debit before you can continue to do so. If you want to change to direct debit it is not possible to do so
- fortnightly collection (25 collections) not including the two weeks over the Christmas period
- your bin should be ready at 6.30am at your collection point on the day of collection. It should not weigh over 50kg
Terms and conditions
- This application is valid from 28 March 2022 to 24 March 2023
- We do not collect garden waste during the two weeks over Christmas and the New Year.
- If you let your subscription expire or do not pay for the service, we will remove your bins(s).
- Refunds will not be issued if you cancel your subscription during the year.
- Your subscription(s) can be transferred if you move house within the borough.
- We strongly recommend that you label your bin(s) with your property number or name.
- Please put your bin(s) out at the property boundary or other point specified by the Council, by 6.30am on the day of collection.
- The bin lid must be closed for collection. Side waste will not be collected.
- We do not collect soil, as this service is for garden waste for composting only. Putting soil in the bin is likely to put the weight over the lifting limit of 50kg. We will leave any bin that weighs over 50kg.
- We are unable to accept any plastics in amongst your garden waste collection, including plastic sacks of any type.
- A contaminated container will not be emptied. You must remove the contamination and present the container for the next scheduled collection. We will not return if the container was contaminated. For information about what to put in the garden waste bin, see the details on this page.
- Please do not compact materials into the bin, as they will not tip out during the automated emptying process.
- If we miss your bin(s) on collection day, please let us know within two working days using our report a missed bin collection page or by phone on 01483 505050. We will not return if a missed collection is reported after this period.
- If you provide an email address for renewal reminders, it is your responsibility to check that you have given us the correct address and that you have received emails about your garden waste renewal service each year.
- This service is only available to domestic residents.
- Payment must be registered to an individual residential property. If you are applying on behalf of a communal residence (for example, several flats), please phone us first on 01483 505050.
- We reserve the right to refuse a service to any property for any reason. If we cancel a service we will provide a pro-rata refund of the remaining service subscription.
Apply, renew or cancel a garden waste subscription
You must have an account and be logged in to apply, change or cancel a garden waste subscription. Create your account first, then come back to this page to complete your task using the buttons below.
Apply or renew a garden waste subscription
This form will guide you through applying for a new garden waste subscription, or changing your garden waste subscription. If you pay by direct debit do not use this form to renew your subscription.
Read the information below before beginning the form:
- you must be logged in
- payments made on or before 31 December 2021 are for the 2021/22 subscription year, running from 29 March 2021 to 25 March 2022. You will need to pay £41 for each bin
- payments made on or after 1 January 2022 are for the 2022/23 subscription year running from 28 March 2022 to 24 March 2023. You will need to pay £45 for each bin
- if you have ordered a new or additional bin between 1 January and 28 February 2022, we will deliver your bin in March. If you ordered after 1 March we will deliver your bin within 4 weeks.
If you are currently receiving garden waste collections:
- we encourage you to renew your subscription between January and March, but you can renew at any time
- you can add more bins to your existing subscription whenever you want
- some properties are not able to have bins, a maximum of four garden waste sacks are provided in this instance. The form will find out what is best for you.
- view your subscription information in your online account
- use this form if you want to use less bins in the next subscription, but still have a service.
Change your address or cancel your garden waste subscription
This form will guide you through cancelling your garden waste subscription.
- if you are moving within Guildford Borough use this form to move your subscription to your new address. You must take your garden waste bins with you.
- if you are moving outside of Guildford Borough use this form to cancel your subscription
- no refunds are offered for the cancellation of the service at any point within the year