Toggle menu

Slyfield community recycling centre closure

The Slyfield community recycling centre will be closed from 15 June to 30 June 2024 for essential maintenance. Find out more about alternative community recycling centres. (opens new window)

Apply for help with your council tax

Apply for help with your council tax

If you need help paying your council tax you may be able to get council tax support. If you get Universal Credit, this doesn't cover council tax so you'll need to claim council tax support separately.

Council tax support helps you pay some of your council tax if you are on a low income or claiming certain benefits.

Who can claim council tax support

To claim council tax support, you must:

  • have a low income or be entitled to a benefit 
  • live at the property
  • pay council tax

How much support can I get?

We will look at your age, income and savings, who else lives with you and which benefits you get. You can find out more by using our benefits calculator. 

Benefits calculator (opens new window)

How to apply

You can apply for council tax support using our online form. When you apply, we will need: 

  • your National Insurance number 
  • names and dates of birth of all the people in your house
  • your household income, savings, investments and expenses - including childcare costs and private pension contributions

Apply for council tax support (opens new window)

What happens next?

Council tax support is usually paid from the Monday after the date you claim. We cannot normally backdate claims.

If you know your situation is going to change, your income will be going down or you will be moving soon, you can claim up to 13 weeks before you need help. If you move house, claim council tax support within the first week of your tenancy starting.

Short-term discretionary payment

We ensure that the take-up of benefits is maximised throughout the whole community.

If you are struggling financially, you may be able to get some extra help. You can apply online if you wish to be considered for a short-term discretionary payment. This is over and above your current council tax support.

Apply for a short-term discretionary payment (opens new window)